• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Kicks.......Good/Bad

The Machine

I have studied Goju-Ryu many years and have learned have always been taught side kicks are not the best as it limits yourself offensively. I find side kicks more natural to me, and wouldn't side kicks leave you less open??........i'd like to hear your thoughts regarding this.

"The mind is one with heaven and earth."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
huh? i was taught in isshinryu that a snap kick is kinda like a jab in boxing. it is used to kinda suprise the opponet with a whole lot of speed and actually just sort of puts them in position for something a little more hardcore. the side thrust kick is the side kick we focus on the most, because its our power kick, utilizing all the force possible from the hips and putting it into the heel. if anything i would have thought it would limit you DEfensively. but maybe thats just isshinryu

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

It would depend on teh target, I would think. I side kick ot the knee or shin is a great first defensive weapon.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I think everyone finds a kick that suits them best. I have seen some do exceptional side kicks. I have also seen some to some horrid side kicks. We are all different.

The kick I have best control with, speed and accuracy doing is a round house.

i like roundhouse, and my back kicks are horrid. i got so fustrated last class trying to learn the spinning back kick that had to do some snap kicks to the focus pad just to let off stem before continuing. :lol: everytime i get my form even half way right i miss the pad!!! :x :kaioken:

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I love side kicks. I don't have great height with them, but that's my power kick (even with the front leg). I'm a kicker, so there isn't many kicks I had trouble with. Except when I first started out. It was the back kick, also and spinning kicks. But my TSD instructor drilled technique, so now I can pick up a kick fairly easily. I'm not much for hand techniques. That's where I get screwed up, except for blocking LOL.

Laurie F

If you fight someone who knows what they are doing it's not too difficult to redirect to the kick and get on you deadside where you will be wide open for a knice head shot.

But it is a Powerful kick and has it's uses.

Side kicks are extremely effective, snaping or thrusting. And it is the only kick you can do with full extension from in close. Sparing with a mixed group last week and one TKD Blk Blt kept nailing me with it. I was eating up any of the others I got in close on. But this guy kept launching me half way across the gymn with that kick from stand up grappling range. #@^* frustratin'!

Freedom isn't free!