• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Attack from a knife

I don't understand what you mean. When I face an opponent, I will angle correctly according to his approach - direct, circular, whatever. As a WC practitioner, we go in for that sort of thing ;-).

and your statement was typical WC... move off his center-line and point your weapons at him. The problem lies an attempting to do this against an attacker who does not commit a limb. You can try to go into sticky-hands, but unless you are completely dominiate the grapple, you will get a lot of cuts trying for a bridge.

It sounded / sounds like your intent is to move off the line of the attack and you believe that you will have relative position simply from that step. a conservative with the knife will not extend the knife, he will simply advance; your angle-step requires nothing from him but a slight turn of the waist and you still have that knife between the two of you. I think you would do better to advance into him... you ill likely get cut, but you can hope to control the fight right then and there... if yo manuver for position from within the range of his weapon; I forsee you getting cut a lot more.

Errr, I HAVE CONTROLLED THE KNIFE. My postioning has put me out of reach of the blade, and my lead hand has contol of his two lines which are both, as I said, off me. And even if he turns to change that - in the split second before I maim him - I'll simply step to a better angle. Again, we practice this stuff with big shiny butterfly swords...

You cannot be both out of his range and in control of his actions. I stand by my earlier comment that the only two positions you want are "too far to reach" and "smothering". Any other range and it's too much like fighting... but he has a knife.

1. Get a friend to stand to your side, with their left hand on your left arm, facing the side of your head (like they were looking at your profile). 2. Turn and touch them with your right hand before they can move out of reach. If you wanna make this lively, tell them that they can slap your head if they get there quick enough.

Touch your left arm with your right hand and turn left. If they get their hand away, then they gave up control.. if they do not get their hand away, they are bleeding.

Now start with both your hands in front of your chest so the distance to your left arm is about 6 inches. Now try simply turning.

I'm not a real doctor, but I wouldn't think that tearing the anus with a knife inserted into it would penetrate any arteries. And hey - the dude attacked me with a knife, so if he dies - good.

Mostly perepherary veins intended to supply the sphincter. The arteries for the legs (as well as some rather important tendonds) run through either side of the crotch.. the returning veins run under the "cheeks".

Excuse me ? It is a concern - for myself, my loved ones and for society, because I believe that wrongdoers should be punished for what they do. Live by the sword, die by it and all that.

I believe that I should continue breathing. If I over-react to someone who didn't ean to kill me; or can run away from someone who did, it's all good as long as I get to keep breathing. Civic duty is nice and all, but it comes after self-preservation.

Edited by JerryLove

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we learn to side snap kick the knife out of there hand before they can get a chance of attacking you with the knife, but if i were defend myself against a knife attack, the person with the knife is trying to kill me, so if he came in with a thrusting stab to my stomach i would shift off the the side and front leg round kick him in the ribs, (breaking his floating rib) and finish him off with a reverse punch.

And your destroy your argument with your quote:

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

Everyone has a plan right up until they get hit. The more specific your plan, the more you ahve set yourself up for failure.

If I have a knife in my hand, my hand is moving (BTW, I've probibly not announced I even have it). If you put your foot up, your leg will get cut. If you are close enough to kick my rib.. .I'm not going to defend it, I'm going to cut the inside-back of your knee and that rather large artery there (you can feel the pulse if you try)... if it's close enough, I'll go for the arteries and tendons in your groin or abdomen... preferrably filleting skin off as your leg retracts... If my hands are higher, it's your torso/neck/arms you should be worrying about... I'll risk a kick to my rib... you'll bleed out in about 3 minutes.

if id get a chance, id go for the throath, id try to do whatever i can to stay alive.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

see, that's why you just move to WI. if anyone ever has a knife, they don't go for strategy or intelligence. they just make wide, swinging motions; always horizontal. it makes training a lot easier :lol: god i love being a townie :D

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Facing a enemy with a knife it's itself a dramatic situation! I've been throwgh situations where the agressor just wanted to intimidate me. In this case you should NOT REPLY. However, if He/she wants to injure you seriously ( or even kill you), try to take him/ to the ground, attacking his/her knees with your legs while defending your upper body with your arms. If, for any reason, you can srike his/her head, do it quickly and with no mercy at all! Remember: never start a fight, but if you get into one, finish it!

Has anyone read "Master of the Blade" by Richard Ryan?

I would recommend it as a book on knife fighting, but it makes a depressing read for those who wish to defend against knife attacks. I've only had a knife pulled on me twice and refused to fight each time, but each time the would be attacker held it out at the centre of his body in a hatchet grip in order to intimidate. I just calmed him down the first time (I'd already disarmed him once - he was armed with an iron bar too) because we'd been fighting hand to hand for a few minutes and he'd got quite a beating, I don't think he could have carried on much longer.

The second time I just handed over my cash as it was money orientated - I handed over the princely sum of five pounds (about $8 USD) and it was enough to make him go, I was carrying a laptop, PDA and mobile phone at the time, but I had chosen my bag carefully so he didn't have a clue what was in it and I certainly wasn't going to tell him. The laptop was weighing me down considerably, I don't think running would have been an option.

I talked to him for a few minutes telling him that I wasn't going to give him any money but he was jumpy and unpredictable. I could have probably took him out - he was young and unskilled, but it wasn't worth the risk...

Unfortunately, both of these incidents happened before I started my training, in fact, getting mugged was why I started training in the first place. Maybe now both events would have panned out differently... but they turned out pretty good both times since I'm still alive and unhurt.

In terms of the weapons used, the first was a small 3 - 4" lock knife (he would have probably damaged his hand more than me) and the second an approximately 5" fixed blade knife. I don't think either blade was sharp enough to cut effectively through a thick-ish coat. Perhaps untrained people are more interested in stabbing techniques?

No specific techniques in this posting, but thought that you might get something from my experience. What knife experiences has everyone else had?

I'd have to agree with that, that stabbing is more common among inexperienced knife users. I think that it's more common though for them to go for a deep plunge, intending to bury the knife as deep as possible, instead of attempting numerous shallow stabs. I can't really say for sure though which they would generally do.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

Attack low... Its much harder to defend ones knee than the throat, its just common sence. Why attack high, where the knife attacker can easily cut incoming appendages, when you can attack low with much less risk. A good kick to the knee will mess them up, they will not be standing up for a long while.