• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Attack from a knife

What would you do if you were face to face with a attacker with a knife. Oh and you cant run away.

I would get the knife out of the way first. With my hand opposite the knife i grab the wrist quickly coming in with a knife hand strike to the jaw. Hopefully the attacker drops the knife. I kick it away and put his arm in a arm lock throwing in a few strikes to weken the attacker. I then report whatever happens to the police giving in the knife.

:D :D :D

lol

http://www.austers.co.uk

One must be like all changes of state.

Solid - Tough and strong!

Liquid - Relaxed and make your techniques flow!

Gas - Fast!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok. i'm not sure i understand what you're saying here. you said

With my hand opposite the knife i grab the wrist quickly coming in with a knife hand strike to the jaw."

are you saying you would grab the wrist holding the knife with your opposite hand? where does the knife hand strike come in? same hand? different hand? your post is confusing!

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

What would you do if you were face to face with a attacker with a knife. Oh and you cant run away.

I would get the knife out of the way first. With my hand opposite the knife i grab the wrist quickly coming in with a knife hand strike to the jaw. Hopefully the attacker drops the knife. I kick it away and put his arm in a arm lock throwing in a few strikes to weken the attacker. I then report whatever happens to the police giving in the knife.

I'm sorry, Dragon, I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but you don't seem to have a realistic view of a knife attack.

For one thing, if you're grabbing his arm with your opposite arm, then how are you going to punch his jaw? You'd have to punch over the top of your and his arms - not very effective. Secondly, if you even see the knife coming, you'd be best off hitting him pre-emptively rather than waiting for him to attack you first. That's pretty much the law of knife-fighting: be prepared to be cut if you fight, hit first, hit hard, and run when you can. I guess it does depend on how good a martial artist you are, too. Some people would have no problem in a mugging; others would really suffer.

I see what he's saying - may not be the best way, but what he means is this:

attacker has a heaven grip and stabs toward you

you do an outside block and grab his wrist from the outside. If you pull him into you, you are in position to throw a straight or a cross with your other hand, as you are on his outside.

He's hoping that the punch jolts the guy enough that he drops the knife (doubtful) and he will kick it away if it does.

Well if you have no choice, and the guy wants to kill you, you have to do what you can to survive. You also just have to accept that your going to get cut. If the attack is all of a sudden keeping your distance is a good idea. Find something that you can use as a weapon. If you can't find a weapon, well I hope you trained for this type of situation.

Here's something that may work. If the knife is in his right hand, and he does a thrusting stab at your stomach move to the outside of the arm holding the knife. Grab the wrist and arm holding the knife with both hands. When he feels you have a hold of his arm he will more than likely retract the knife towards himself to get it back. At that moment use your whole body while moving with him and give him the knife, right in the throat. He will essentially be cutting himself. Don't let go no matter what. After you've cut him (still holding his arm with both of yours) kick him in the groin, bar his arm down, with your left hand pushing on his shoulder and your right hand holding the knife hand by the wrist. He will be in a bent over position, kick him with your right foot, right to the temple. Place your left knee between his shoulder and his tricep, drop your weight, sending him down and levering the arm. Break the arm and take the knife. What you do from there is up to you.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I have been in two knife fights. My brother has been in two as well.

I don't think you make it an absolute that you WILL get cut. I think you must mentally prepare for getting cut and accept that there is a good chance for it. But it is not an absolute that you will get cut. My brother and I have been fortunate enough not have been cut in either of our fights. Not even a little scratch.

Knife fighting is something we focus on a lot.

The strategy we take to knife fighting is to view the knife as an extension of the opponent's hand. It's just a tad bit longer and a whole lot more dangerous if touched. If you can successfully avoid being punched and out manuever the hand of your opponent when empty then you can do the same.

Having a knife in his hand doesn't make him any faster or stronger. His hand still controls the knife and whatever his hand is capable of, that's all the knife is capable of.

Generally we don't bother with attempting to grab the knife hand. A slight change or reflexive flinch from the opponent could result in a cut to your hand. You do not want to risk getting tendons severed as you will immediately be handicapped in the fight.

Primarily we focus on hitting first and avoiding the line of force. If the opponent must pull back to strike then we strike faster and harder...and more than once(to disorientate the attacker, and remove the controller of the knife). If the opponent does strike then we focus on avoidance of the hand. Side-step, twisting of the body, a step backwards, etc. That is coupled with a simultaneous strike. So, when we move it is simultaneous with a strike. For example, a simple thrust to the stomach. If we don't catch him as he prepares for the strike, then we move out of the way striking him at the same time. Either with a kick to the groin, solar plexus, a strike to the face or neck. Even a kick to the hamstring or knee.

Those are just was is generally done. After the fact or even during we teach the fighter to do what is most efficient at that moment. So the above are not absolutes either. In fact, sometimes it can be better for you to move, take control of the striking arm, and then strike. Everything situation is unique and the best way to prepare is to learn several different approaches so well they become reflexive and then custom-tailor those moves to match the current situation.

Martial Artist.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Sorry its just hard to say it. With one hand i push the hand with the knife in away with my other hand i knife hands strike to the jaw.

Sorry about that. :(

http://www.austers.co.uk

One must be like all changes of state.

Solid - Tough and strong!

Liquid - Relaxed and make your techniques flow!

Gas - Fast!

Martial Artist said, "I don't think you make it an absolute that you WILL get cut. I think you must mentally prepare for getting cut and accept that there is a good chance for it. But it is not an absolute that you will get cut. My brother and I have been fortunate enough not have been cut in either of our fights. Not even a little scratch. "

Yeah, I agree. You must mentally prepare yourself for getting cut. I meant accepting it give you no choice but to do what you have to.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Dragon wrote:

"What would you do if you were face to face with a attacker with a knife. Oh and you cant run away."

I myself train in Kali and if this situation were Mano y Daga (Hand to Knife) then I would use parries and slaps to avoid being cut and attempt trapping the arm. If it were Daga y Daga (Knife to Knife) that would most likely be since I carry a knife, then I would attempt to cut/slice my opponents arm if he trusted towards me, also parry and slap the hand and attempt to cut the face to discourage my opponent from further aggression.

But this is a very complex situation to address, cause if your opponent is standing in front of you with a knife he most likely trying to intimidate you for your money or something else. Also the knife will be moving very fast and will be everywhere, cause your opponent will likely start slashing and slicing then trusting the knife. If a person really knew how to use a knife they would "shank" you before you even realized what happened and by then he would have already stole your wallet, car keys or started raping you as you bleed to death. BOTTOM LINE: ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!! Also I 100% accept the fact that if I get into a knife fight I'm gonna get cut or stabbed, this is reality, just like if you were gonna get in a street fight you must accept the fact your gonna get hit.