Dragon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i think u r right because you do not get the move right

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

It depends on the person's existing knowledge of martial arts, and whether there is any interaction with -and corrections from - someone knowledgable in the art. They could theoretically spend hours and hours practicing techniques "wrong" and have to relearn everything properly when they go to a dojo, leading to frustration. It is really hard to correct your own techniques, even with the use of a mirror, because what you think you are doing and what you are really doing is sometimes different, especially when you don't know how it feels to do a move or stance correctly.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

"Magic! in a young girls heart, how the music can free her, whenever it starts!" (sorry, when your thread was called do you bleive in i just couldnt resist)

lets be fair here, i mean im much happier now that im training in the dojo but i am still confident that i could have learned shotokan the way i was doing it. its not easy, and its actually more expensive i found out when you add everything up for a good training at home. and hold your horses, your saying there isnt a chance of injury if you train in the dojo? i do in fact have a response to that...HA!.... there is is, thats all ive got...if someone is really passionate about learning the martial arts like i was and still am, and there arnt any avaliable dojo's than i think it would be WRONG of us as Martial artist to discourage them. after all, isnt defeating the odds and doing the extrodinary, at times even the physicaly impossible, a major core aspect that attracts so many of us to the MA's in the first place? if they can go the distance, i am 100% behind them. im saying this after being on BOTH sides of the fence, having trained a little at home in shotokan and then joining my Isshinryu dojo.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I never said there was never an injury at the dojo. But i think that you should learn at a dojo. Ur insured u have been taught correct and u can actually say uve been graded for whatever belt u get.

http://www.austers.co.uk

One must be like all changes of state.

Solid - Tough and strong!

Liquid - Relaxed and make your techniques flow!

Gas - Fast!

2 problems that you just said there. one, you cant guarantee your training is sound at a dojo either, in fact if you train at home your probably much better protected from fruadulent training than you would be if you were dojo hunting, mcdojo instructors are like carsalesmen man, they can suck you into anything. also, I self trained and am still registered in the International shotokan Karate association as a yellow belt because i had an instructor who was a friend test me. all the paper work was taken care of, i felt like i had earned it (lord knows i practised heian shodan enough) and i recived the belt. of course im back to white now because im in isshinryu, and when ISA dosent see me register again i wont be a yellow belt with there records anymore. but the fact is you can earn belts and be home trained. i think we should all educate ourselfs more in self training since every martial artist ive met seems to think its such a bad thing, but from what i have seen they just dont have the facts, theve never tried it, theve never seriously lessoned to someone who has done it, they just dont know. of course i would recommend a dojo if its at all possible, if for no other reason its just more fun.

I never mentioned injuries, though you could get injured by doing some things incorrectly, that wasn't even my primary concern. I know that the more you train the more your techniques become second nature, and so if you spend hours practicing in a certain way, you'll need to spend even more hours undoing what you've done if it is wrong. In a good dojo, your techniques would be corrected earlier before they become second nature. Now if you're training at home and have access to the instructor in some manner (videotape or something), it would be an improvement over learning from a book solely, but there is still a time delay, and the limitations of the angles the instructor can view you at on the tape.

I don't look down at people trying to learn that way when they have no other choice, and I think you can certainly get information from home training methods, but am hesitant to endorse such a method as "just as good" as in a dojo. For one, what about partner work?

-Lao-Tse

People learning MA from books or the internet. I think this is incredibly stupid as there are loads more chances of injury. Ne1 else agree?

Just make sure you don't learn anything here, then. :P

dude, do you know how many people there are in the world with absolutely jack to do? esicially at my age! its not hard to find someone else who wants to train with you. hey it isnt great, the dojo is way better but we gotta remeber most people would choose to go to the dojo if they could usally the only people that are solely trainingat home are those with no other choice. and i think the real problem isnt with them but the dojo owners. if we would stop being so money stingy than maybe more people could go to a dojo. also if someone cant afford to go its really wrong to do stuff like ban them from tournaments. if people are willing to risk there unprofessional training against the dojo fighters and they can prove they know the rules and everything than why not let them compete? to me a martial artist is a martial artist. i dont care what style, (okay thats a slight exadiration but i wont rekindle that flame) what color gi you have on (though i do personaly prefer either straight black or straight white) or weather you trained through a dojo, private instructor, or on your own.

its not hard to find someone else who wants to train with you.

The blind leading the blind....though I suppose another set of eyes (even untrained) is certainly better than going it alone though I still wouldn't say it is equal, but then again it might actually be BETTER than what some dojos put out there. :D

As for dojo discrimination at tournaments...I wasn't aware that people without a dojo aren't allowed to compete, so I can't really comment on that. I always had a dojo so it never came up, though.

-Lao-Tse