• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I threw a bigger opponent in a real situation. He was moving towards me, and I believe both surprise and the fact I was naturally below his centre of gravity were factors.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Are throws difficult to pull off in real life situations? What might be the factors in this: weight, momentum, etc.?

It all depend on what dort of throw you choose to use and the attack you are dealing with. Rear grasps such as bear hugs, headlocks or chokes lend themselves nicely to hip and shoulder throws such as seoi nage or o goshi. Straight line punches are better handled with irimi nage which is basically an aikido or jujitsu closeline. Haymakers lend themselves to four corner throws, like shi ho nage or more hip and shoulder throws. In short throws can be very effective in real life situations if you know how to respond to the variety of attacks you may be faced with. The only other thing to consider is that these techniques, especially the hip and shoulder throws, are quite dangerous to someone who does not know how to fall and can cause more serious injury than you want to inflict.

I hope this was helpful.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ya i flipped a guy who punched at me and he fell and broke a rib and his elbow, beware they are dangerous, by the way it was a seoi nage it is a really good throw for countering a straight punch otherwise I like to use a grab and toss throw like ogoshi or anything that will make them think twice

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

The average "Joe" isn't going to know how to fall. So if you do a simple hip throw on him, he will get slammed to the ground. It does hurt for the beginner. Just amagine it for the fellow you throw who as no MA training ..... ouch!!!! Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

Just amagine it for the fellow you throw who as no MA training ..... ouch!!!!

Did you add on the cement, that will hurt anyone regardless of falling skills.

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

I personally find that your gari and gaki throws will works in most situations. And tai-otoshi and seoi-otoshi are great from haymaker.

But what about your kote gaeshi throws, my school likes to emphasise such techniques (and most wrist locks) hwo are they for combat effectiveness.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.