• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yup... another 'help me decide' thread... (long)

I'm 25 years old, 5'10 220lbs. I am in good/decent physical condition (wide shoulders, fairly muscular/strong, though I'm not totally 'ripped'). I currently run 2-3 miles 3-4 days a week, and do weight training 2 days a week.

I have no MA background.

My local options are:

Kem(n)po

Karate (Uechi-Ryu, ShoToKan)

TKD

Aikido

Jujitsu

Krav Maga

I'm mainly trying to balance my body type with style preferences. The primary things I'm looking to get out of a martial art in order of importance:

1. Physical training (toning, flexability)

2. Spiritual Enlightenment / Mental training

3. Ability to practice alone

4. Self Defence

- Sport/tournaments are not important to me.

I think currently, Aikido is my front runner... especially because I like one of the local dojos very much and feel I could get alot out of it mentally/spiritually. However, I don't think I'd really get much/anything out of it physically. Perhaps Jujitsu would be better physically? I am really into the throws, locks, and other style aspects of Aikido/jujitsu, but just can't help but think I'd not be satisfying my physical needs/wants... plus training solo/by myself doesn't seem as possible except for the weapons training (which is another plus, for me).

TKD would be great physically, but I'm not keen on the emphasis on kicks and sport/tournaments. Solo practice seems quite possible.

Karate/Kempo would be more balanced for strikes with hands and feet than TKD, but I'm just not familiar enough with them to guage them mentally/spiritually. They also seem to lack the throws, locks, and weapons that I like so much about Aikido. Physically, these would probably be up to par. Solo practice seems possible.

Krav Maga would probably be a decent workout, great for self defense, but isn't really high on the mental/philosophy. Solo practice seems possible.

I guess my problem is that I like Aikido alot stylistically, but since the physical aspect is one of the main reasons I want to take up a MA, I fear I may not really be totally happy with it. The other arts seem to be the opposite... they are great physically, but I don't think I'd like the style nearly as much.

I think Hapkito would be perfect for me, but there isn't a school in my area that i know of.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would take Shotokan karate but they usually have an emphasis a technique rather than fitness but it sounds like you keep fit any way and they probably won’t train with weapons because karate means empty hand but I personally think that is the best and may suit you.

AIKIDO OWNS YOU ALL! MW MW MW HAHAHAHA!

Just kidding, if I were you, visit each class and see what you like. I dont think you can really gauage whether they are for you unless you try a few sessions.

Best of luck.

I did Shotokan (with my buddy Ann .... she talked me into it LOL) for a while and it's little brother Tang Soo Do for a long while. It is very much a workout. It is spiritual somewhat (depends on your definition), I trained in weapons (TSD trained bo staff, knife, sai and nunchu at higher ranks), and it is good for self defense.

I agree with Kensai. Watch a few classes from all the arts. Do the free trial programs (if any). Then decide from there.

Laurie F

If you like weapons and aggressive technique, then try Uechi or Kempo. The Uechi people do things like Tsumasaki geri (kicking with the great toe, rather than the ball of the foot) and hardcore shin conditioning. You'll love it! :)

If you are in Massachusetts you are in George Mattson country, and are likely to find some very good teachers!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Try the kempo school and see if they do the groundwork. My kempo school does grappling and jui-jitsu techniques. I found it to be a very balanced mix with the striking/kicking/kempos/self defense. The best advice is to sit in a few classes in each school and observe. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. :)

Just a quick update.. I found a couple of places that do Hapkito which got me all excited, but they both have some draw backs. One that specializes in Hapkito would be a 35 minute drive but is affordable. The other is a TKD place that also does Hapkito 2 classes a week and is a 5 minute drive from work but they are $40/mo more expensive ($99 a month).

I'll probably go look at Kempo in the next day or two.. a friend of my wife is 3rd dan at a local dojo that does Kempo with some jujitsu classes a couple nights a week. Perhaps I'll start with the Kempo and then start cross training eventually.

The search goes on. :)

Jamis, I drive 40 minutes to my school :D And yes, it is the most affordable one around my area. And the instruction is second to none here. So if you really like that Hapkido school, I'd say go for it. Man, if there was a Hapkido school here, I'd go for it :D

Laurie F

Yeah.. I know alot of people will drive conciderable distances to get a good dojo... but it's actually more than I want to drive personally... especially since I'm up early in the morning and the classes are in the evening, I'd get home right around bed time.

I'm going to a free trial class tonight at the Kempo/Jujitsu dojo tonight. Come to find out, they will be starting Goju Ryu soon too.