• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

5 hrs training????????????

tenkamusou

I would say that since Jet li makes his living by doing martial arts, then it would make sense for him to train obseen amounts of time. For him it IS his job. He doesn't have to worry about fitting it into his schedule for that very reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe 5+ hours of training a day is commendable. I think you need to realize that Martial Arts is not something you leave at the entrance of the dojo when you leave for the day, it's a way of life. Can anyone with years of experience honestly say that their Martial Arts training does not effect their daily lives in some form or fashion?

If you are referring to 5 hours of training in a specific area, such as fighting, then I would say that could be excessive. Especially if going at 100% every day. If you're thinking about everything that makes a Martial Arts' style, then 5 hours is nothing. It's been made clear to me that many M.Artisits from asia hold full time jobs and get in 4-6 hours of training in at days' end.

You don't have to train that long in order to be a MArtial Artist. We all have lives outside the dojo, just make sure that you dedicate yourself inside the school when you do show up.

I'll take a 2 hour warrior over a 5 hour talker anyday :D :D

"No Excuses"

If you train part time you get part time results.

Its that simple. 5 hours is not to much but such a hard training regime wiill demand that u pay even more attention to what u eat. (I think Kickchick is the expert here on that particular topic)

Read a book!

In my Ninjutsu class, we train for about 2 hours every night. I practice at home for about an hour everyday, so that make 3 hours a day. On Saturdays, I normally practice about 5-6 hours straight.

I do not find it terribly difficult, but right now it is summer. When classes kick back in for Fall semester....that will be a different story.

Peace favor---Joshua

There are no limits.

I think to really excel at anything you have to be able to put aside that amount of time towards it.

Unfortunately, in this day of age, it never happens. We're all too busy with school or work, and our culture expects us all to be a jack of all trades, able to put our hand to anything. But as they say, a jack of all trades is master of none.

One of my ex-music teachers was an orchestral musician and he was ALWAYS practicing. He carried his instrument around with him everywhere and whenever he got a spare few minutes, he practiced. And I really mean a spare few minutes. If you were talking to him, and went into the next room to find a book or get your jacket etc., he would take his instrument out of the case and practice for the whole 30 seconds you were away. He once watched him during a lunch break. I've never seen a man wolf down a lunch so quickly in my life...he just wanted to get lunch over so he could get back to practicing. I wish I had that dedication and commitment to my music or to my martial arts. Unfortunately, I don't. :(

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I sometimes practice a few kata moves in the shower (obviously somewhat modified), and have caught myself many times at work going through the arm movements of a kata at my desk, figuring out bunkai, or just working out some finer details. :lol:

5 hours a day is achievable, but as others have previously stated, it isn't for everyone, and at some points in our lives we have more time than in others. At this point I have my kid's and husband's lives and physical fitness to consider as well, and can't realistically spend 5 hours a day actively practicing without it being terribly unfair to them; my 8 year-old goes to soccer and swimming, which are important too - she lost interest in martial arts, but that isn't to say she won't be drawn to it later. Just because I can't put 5 hours a day in at the moment doesn't mean I want to quit, though - martial arts have been part of my life for 18 years - whether I've been training in a dojo or not - and I won't give it up for anything.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Really..today that is not common most people do not have the time to spend 5-6 hours on Karate..That will be for me..staying at the dojo until 10:00 and then having no time to do homework or anything

I agree; most can't do it - including me at the moment - at least not without my family or my job paying the price. As others mentioned it is easier to do it if you break up the 5-6 hours into a couple of sessions - morning and evening (eg. 2 hours in the morning, 3 at night). It seems more achievable when broken down. As I've stated before, though, I would rather train even once a week than not at all.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I usually do karate about 2 1/2 - 3 hours a day, about 4-6 times a week. This does cut into my school though, and with an average of about 22 credit hours per semester for the past couple of years, it simply is a matter of priority I guess. I'm lucky now because as a college student, I really don't have to worry about taking care of a family right now.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/