• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring with women, not the same as hitting women?

There are some boys in my studio that get in trouble regularly because they refuse to spar with girls, because they don't hit girls, I think this is ludicrous, and it's not chivalry in my opinion, any opinions on this subject from boys or girls on how they view are welcome.

hm.........interesting....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are better ways to respect women, but I think showing them the respect to compete with them is better than holding off and refusing to give them a chance. Unless we're talking about full contact sparring, and then it wouldn't be fair to the man. :P

i would be p!ssed if guys wouldn't spar me. it's not the same as hitting a girl at all. i learn a lot from the guys at my school and sometimes when we spar i'm the only girl there except my instructor, and that is unfair to the girls, i think.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

No, I don't think it could be classified as "hitting a woman" because they're fully intent on blocking it and hitting you back. And you're not doing it out of anger or anything. this said, I do automatically hold back on girls a little. I'll do the same techniques with the same speed and everything, I just won't hit them as hard as I would a guy.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

It is definitely not "hitting a woman". You're in a controlled situation where the woman is supposed to be fighting back and it isn't the same thing at all. I enjoy sparring both men and women myself; they actually fight rather differently, especially at first, where I've found women rather appologetic :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Hitting a woman = abusing her = no reason other than to be cruel.

Sparring a woman = a mutual display of respect = helping each other progress in your training.

They're two completely different concepts.

As my brother says: sparring women is the ultimate display of equal rights. :nod:

sometimes when we spar i'm the only girl there except my instructor, and that is unfair to the girls, i think.

At most there are 4 girls in my class, including myself and the instructor. Our class has about 20/30 students total. If all of those guys had the "don't hit girls" mentality, I'd be left with very few sparring partners!! :o

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

"There are some boys in my studio that get in trouble regularly because they refuse to spar with girls, because they don't hit girls, I think this is ludicrous, and it's not chivalry in my opinion, any opinions on this subject from boys or girls on how they view are welcome."

well, my fellow martial artist, I think if boys refuse to spar with girls then thats fine whether they hit girls or not. if girls refuse to spar with boys then thats fine to, it really all depends on the individual.