• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

black belts

i know alot of people who do traditional martial arts such as karate and tae kwon do and think i am not a good fighter just cuz i dont have a conventional belt in kickboxing. this happen to me a couple days ago at a martial arts seminar i had a bunch of black belts come up to me and ask me what belt i am and i said i dont follow a ranking system. they all started laughing at me and they were kinda trying to intimidate me

i just wanna say that i do not get intimidated by people who have black belts........i have beaten a few black belts in open martial arts tournaments and i believe that black belts do not make you and immortal fighting machine.

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their behavior was appalling and disrespectfull. I really don't know what to say but to ignore blowhards like that and don't let it color your image of blackbelts no matter what style they chose.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

The belt colour is just to signify how long you have been training and maybe the rank and ability you have.

I believe that if you wear a black belt that you are respectfull to everything and everyone and not judge anybody by first appearance or what colour belt they wear.A black belt should be open minded to other peoples situation.

If they don't think that not having a grading system is very good.Black Belt or no black belt, you still have the ability to KICK SUM ASS!!

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

im gonna quote Mr. Miaggi (spelling) from the karate kid:

Karate here**points to his head**, karate here**points to his heart**, karate never here**grabs his belt**.

martial arts come from the person who learns it. not from a belt. you cant be given a belt and automatacly have the knowledge that is associated with it. having a black belt mean your pants wont fall down.

SHORTDOG

In the road of life there are many paths. If you don't know where you are going, any one will take you there.

join me in my quest to aquire knowledge of all martial arts of the world at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worldofmartialarts

or email

It is quite stupid how schools hand out black belts on physical ability rather than knowledge and ettiquette. They don't teach their black belts anything about respect of other styles. It is quite a shame that they should represent themselves that way and their schools that way. If they ever do hassle you, go report them to their Sensei. If they do it at a tournament let them know, they can be disqualified for un sportmanlike conduct

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

My question is: Why do people who get their black belts through cheap grading systems when they dont deserve it (the sensei is just trying to make cash) think they are so good??? Personally, I dont grade as often as I can even though I have the ability to, because karate is about what you think of yourself, not the impression you make on other people.

I dont believe in using simplistic labels (like belts) to pigeon hole people, and anyone who does is a drooling moron (ok, bad joke I appologise).

Personally I do have respect for black belts and I know many other people do too, so it is apalling that black belts should go around with this behaviour. There should be a system whereby people can get there belt confiscated for a while for behaviour such as that.