• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Powerful high kicks without injuries

gordosan

If you really want to find out, you have to have an opponent who is willing and able to take a really hard kick. in our sparring you are expected as a higher belt to fight to the level of your opponent, so you don't want to nail a yellow belt in the head, but with another high belt, ask them if they will go full power/speed, or set up some training outside of the dojo. There have been plenty of broken noses, near knockouts, etc... amongst the (usually) older high ranks.

Having said that, I think the general opinion from other threads is that high kicks are risky, particularly when fighting a good karate-ka. They will just be waiting for it, :brow: even if you feint low first. As soon as they catch or injure your leg - fight over! But in a bar fight with an average person, you may be able to use a high kick as a good finisher, so at least practice it on a bag where you can go full power.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I just re-read the initial post. Your talking about a sparring situation. Perhaps you should just adjust your sparring to not include high kicks if they don't work for you. Train them if you want but don't use them sparring if you're not able to make them work for you. Good luck.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

*when kicking off the front foot, don't lean back to assist the knee lift, as this will weaken the kick.

*If you find too far away to kick after blocking, make up the distance by sliding up thr back foot. remember to keep level,though.

* Remember side thrust kick is hard to block.

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

*when kicking off the front foot, don't lean back to assist the knee lift, as this will weaken the kick.

*If you find too far away to kick after blocking, make up the distance by sliding up thr back foot. remember to keep level,though.

Leaning while kicking also telegraphs the kick terribly. you can see it coming from a mile away.

Remember, when you slide the rear foot forward you leave yourself open for a check or a push.

A side thrust kick isn't hard to block, you simply move out of the way.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Leaning while kicking also telegraphs the kick terribly. you can see it coming from a mile away.

Remember, when you slide the rear foot forward you leave yourself open for a check or a push.

A side thrust kick isn't hard to block, you simply move out of the way.

Thanks Sasori_te alot!!!!!! Thanks ahahah

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

in our dojang for WTF TKD, some of the red belts were demanded to make full-on kicks. to the instructor of course. only over belt height tho - cause knee strikes would be too risky i guess. this way, he picks you apart, tells you whats wrong, makes you feel terrible about it, and for the most part everyone trains twice as hard.

of course, the best bit was when an old student came back after a month (wasnt even with the dojang then!) and the instructer said "fancy taking a few kicks" and he said "alright".

front kick to the instructors jaw. instructor stood there, wavered about a bit, and said "yeah... kicking is good." and sat down for a while, hehe.

the point is - sparring lightly wont make you all you can be :) in a real fight do what you do best :)