• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Powerful high kicks without injuries

gordosan

During the fights in the dojo classes ,I use high kicks to the head (mawashi geri) without really touching the head though I can see opportunities

also mae-geri to the chest (never to the face) but not with power , I don't want to hurt my opponent, after all it is only training.

The problem is that because the kicks doesn't hurt , the opponent can attack immediately and he finds me more vulnerable because in this point I am less stable.

So what happens is that a knockdown opportunity for me , becomes the opposite - an advantage to the opponent.

This is even worse in the fights during the tests for next belt , because there they hit harder ,but I still can't see myself kicking strong mae-geri to the face.

so here goes all my advantage in high kicks in fights (don't worry, in real situation I will kick hard ).

Do you face the same problem? how do you handle it without quitting high kicks ?

OSU!

p.s.

I am from kyokushin style

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

(...)but I still can't see myself kicking strong mae-geri to the face.

In Kyokushin you can do mae geri on the face?

so here goes all my advantage in high kicks in fights (don't worry, in real situation I will kick hard ).

I'm not so sure. I have got the same problem. My jodan mawashi geri was only a touch when I was fighiting with somebody. But later I sow tahat I can't kick with a power. And I changed my training. Now it's much beter.

But you must remember that in real situation(on a street, for example) high kicks are very danger for you. High kick is slower and it's easer to intercept. And you less stable like you say.

yes, in street fights its way more fun to do a low kick to the knee when they step forward, it tears them all up. :D just try focusing on hand technique more and kick the in the chest, but move right or left, aiming for a pectorial mucsel so it can take the blow. besides training is all about control. if you cant master the control of your power than you havent masterd the technique yet.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

In my experience, it is rare that you can land a high kick to the head without leaving yourself open-and when you do it is a powerful feeling :brow: ! It takes a lot of practice, trial and error, and patience to learn how to use the openings and when to strike. You may also have a greater chance of success if you use them in combination with other kicks that draw your opponent into opening himself up in a way that he will be unable to counter the kick. Second, I have lost many a match from mae geri thrown to the chest :kaioken: ! Throwing it high takes a lot of practice and strength in your quads.More repitition will make you feel more comfortable and confident to throw it with control so you don't have to worry about hurting your partner.

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I dont face this problem very often. Ive been know to have really "wild" kicks. I do one kick and another 40 come right after it.

Try to scare the opponent off or hit them lightly.

http://www.austers.co.uk

One must be like all changes of state.

Solid - Tough and strong!

Liquid - Relaxed and make your techniques flow!

Gas - Fast!

During the fights in the dojo classes ,I use high kicks to the head (mawashi geri) without really touching the head though I can see opportunities

also mae-geri to the chest (never to the face) but not with power , I don't want to hurt my opponent, after all it is only training.

The problem is that because the kicks doesn't hurt , the opponent can attack immediately and he finds me more vulnerable because in this point I am less stable.

So what happens is that a knockdown opportunity for me , becomes the opposite - an advantage to the opponent.

This is even worse in the fights during the tests for next belt , because there they hit harder ,but I still can't see myself kicking strong mae-geri to the face.

Do you face the same problem? how do you handle it without quitting high kicks ?

OSU!

p.s.

I am from kyokushin style

That is why it is generally considered unwise to use high kicks in live self defense applications like on the street.

• 3 months later...
Usually, when I use kicks during sparring, I only do push kicks. When I throw a mae geri, I make it so there is not too much impact. I just put my foot to the opponent and push. However, when I practice kicking the pads, I go Full out!

tokin' chokin' chillin'

PRIDE! OKINAWA PRIDE!

I do believe at some point in your training you should have practice dealing with full force kicks. 2nd or 3rd kyu is a reasonable time frame. If you can't deal with a full force kick coming at you by then training needs to be re-evaluated.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

If you think they can take it, dont be afraid to kick to the head or face. I'm not saying fight lower belts as hard as you can, but if you are getting hit hard, hit hard right back. In my opinion it is okay to occasionally go to the BODY a little hard on an opponent who doesn't respect your kicks. It helps them to realize the mistakes they are making can cost them in a real situation, also not to take advatage of you holding back.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.