• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've got this book, which is available on Amazon, which shows bunkai for Nahanchi/Tekki 1, 2 & 3.

I found it an excellent book with some interseting stuff in it.

Bunkai: Secrets of Karate Kata: The Tekki Series

by Elmar T Schmeisser

This is a great book :up: I normally dont go around endorsing books

But........ :D

It is one if the few karate books worth the money. When I started to learn Tekki I wanted to understand it better, this book helped me out quite a bit. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Now I understand your dilema. I will do my best to explain how to break down the move that I spoke of. I will use the normal TKD version for my purpose.

Step left to low block.

1. Standing feet together, look left and chamber left hand by ear.

A- when the left hand comes to the ear for the chamber, this can be used as a block for a punch to the face. Notice that the hand comes across the upper body to the shoulder near your right ear. Most schools will have the hand in a fist which denotes a grab technique.

With the hand open it can be used simply as a guiding block to bring the attack away from your face. Also a key to learning Bunkai is to realize that your application of the technique does not have to perfectly mirror the technique in the kata.

B- also notice that the elbow comes into the front area of the body, good for a mid level sweeping elbow.

C- if you are able to use this block by guiding the attacking hand in toward your body at an angle then this technique can be used as a trap. Trapping the attacking hand between you forearm and your body.

D- Also this technique is already half of an arm break.

E- not to mention it is the base for the inside block

2. The right hand mean while chambers under the left. It strechtes across the stomach toward the left side of the body ( keep in mind that this is still part of the chamber, done at the same time as the left hand moves above in prep for the low block.)

A- Take this one all on it's own and it is simply a low punch, you can combine it with the technique above by guiding the technique out of your way with the left hand chamber and at the same time striking with the low punch chamber technique.

B- If you bring the movement a little higher it becomes the other half of your breaking technique.

C- Have someone shake your right hand and then pull you. As they do keep in mind the bottom half of the low block chamber. Allow them to pull you by stepping toward the center of their body and turning your right shoulder toward the opponent. Execute your low block chamber with the the lower half concentrating on driving your right shoulder into your opponent using the side of your shoulder. Make sure to drive your chamber accross the stomach just as you would for the Low block chamber only without the upper half. This should help to drive your shoulder into your oppponent football fashion.

3. Now we come to the step out to the left into the front stance.

A- Stance application is a little bit too hard to explain in writting; however, I can tell you that any time you do a stance move there are certain basic uses you derive from most stances. Such as evasion, when you move your stance you move the body hence it can be used to move your head out of the way of an incoming attack. Also anytime you move the feet as in a stance movement, then there are leg sweeping techniques as well as leg jamming.

4. From here you execute the reason for all of this prep, the low block, as you do take notice in the movment of the other hand as it goes to rest on your hip.

A- Left hand first, of course you know what a low block is for so that is number one.

B- Now imagine that someone is pucnching at you with his left fist, you are in your chamber for the low block. Now as you begin to execute your low block even though the techqnique is aimed at your head. As your hand traverses across the body it comes into contact with the outside of his arm. From there you continue downward still as if preforoming the low block. But this time your left arm is on the outside of his left and it is now guiding his attack away from his body. When the right angle has been reach you can even grab his wrist while continuing on downard for your low block. This causing his arm to not only to move doward but for you to have the ability to pull him into your next technique.

C- The low block is also the basis for the hammerfist.

D- ( your right leg is back) Someone has grabbed your right wrist with their left hand leaving you in the bottom half of your low block chamber (although it will work from either side, I am merly trying to stick with the low block position.) Quickly of course chamber the remaining hand for your low block and execute it as you would in the kata, pulling the lower hand to your waist and stricking the assailants arm with the low block.

E- Now the right had comes to rest at the right hip. One application is an elbow strike to the back.

F- Another application would be a pull.

I really hope that you can visualize all of what I have explained. And maybe can even do it from just my explanations. If there is confusion with any of the terminology or something just doesen't seem to work as i said then please let me know and I will help to clarify a bit more.

What I want you to realize that when I say you need to break down the movments, I mean "break them down". You can at a higher level break them down even more than what I just did to the low block. I have done things like this in person with many differnt martial artists. To help them understand their kata more.

Please try and describe a technique that you really cannot decide how to break it apart to get more bunkai from it. And I will do my best to help.

Very Respectfully

wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

Wow! That's great. Lotta info there. Thanks a bunch :)

Gloi, I will look up that book for Nahanchi. I hear that it is a very powerful kata/hyung. Lots of good bunkai in those forms :)

Laurie F

Kata that I can help on easily.

Fukyu kata ichi

Fukyu kata ni

Nahanchi Shodan

Pinan shodan

Pinan nidan

Pinan sandan

Pinan yondan

Pinan godan

Passai

Seisan

Chinto

Any TKD kata

Any Wing Chun techniques

Most TSD kata are similar to the Shorin Ryu style

Once again please let me know of any specific kata or technique that you could use some guidance on.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching