• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't get me wrong about the title, but I'm looking for applications for forms/hyung/kata. This is for "general MA," because the forms my school does it in many arts (Tang Soo Do/Shotokan/Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan, Goju Ryu, ect). I'm looking for MPEG's or videos. Maybe on the internet. If you can be of help, thanks in advance :)

P.S. It's mainly for Bassai, Nahanchi, Pyung ahn (hien), ect.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Laurie,

I believe it is Panther Productions that puts out a series of Shotokan Kata by Ken Funakoshi that includes all the applications of each form. I have a set (packed away somewhere) that I would let you borrow if I can find them. As far as other kata sets, I have never seen any videos with the bunkai included. I have had to figure them out myself-which can be a good thing...gets you thinking about more than one application for each move.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Have you tried asking your teacher, or is he no longer avaliable. Yet in the end the best way to learn Bunkai from any kata no matter what you do is to slow the movements down and break them into tiny peices. Using this method you will find that the more you do it the more techniques you can take from each kata. In some cases you can find something in the kata that even your own teacher does not know of.

As a an example I will try to pait a mental picture in your head. Most styles use this technique in several kata. The simple low block, from the Fukyu kata of shorin ryu, or the tegeuk of TKD. Feet together- look left- chamber for the low block with the left arm up- step out to the left with the left foot into a front stance- and do the low block from the chamber.

Now some of the minor details will change from style to stlye but the base is still their and hopefully you can work off that image. Here is what I want you to do, slowly preform that low block with each small step in mind. When you are done I want you to write me back and let me know which uses you came up with for that one technique.

If you cannot come up with much then I will do my best to describe to you some uses and then I would like for you to paint me a picture of a technique or even kata that I can help you through. I have a good background in Shorin Ryu and Wing Chun.

Very Respectfully

wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

My instructor DOES explain Bunkai, but I don't want to just take his word for it. I know there can be different applications for each move. The one you spoke of can be a stike to the attackers inner thigh of there kicking leg (if they are throwing a low kick).

As for the Taegeuks, I never learned any Bunkai for those. That's what I'm trying to look up (besides the TSD forms we do).

Thanks for your help, guys :)

Laurie F

Hi Laurie,

The best way to really learn bunkai is to find a willing partner and work it out together. We are taught basic bunkai, however Ive found that a lot of what is taught is not effective for my particular size, strength, flexibility,

ect... You have to figure out what you can do with your own body. Keep in mind the simplicity factor.... if its to complicated and fancy you probably will not be able to pull it off in a real situation. As for in the dojo

try anything, its fun and inspires creative thinking :brow: :brow: :brow:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Thanks Shoto :) My boyfriend does the Taegeuks in his school, so maybe we can both figure it out together. But for the TSD forms, I'm alone on those, unless he is willing to be my "dummy" LOL.

Laurie F

I've got this book, which is available on Amazon, which shows bunkai for Nahanchi/Tekki 1, 2 & 3.

I found it an excellent book with some interseting stuff in it.

Bunkai: Secrets of Karate Kata: The Tekki Series

by Elmar T Schmeisser