• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

o genki des ka?

fireka

im okay at converstional japanese but im fairly new to dojo japanese. its wierd, at my dojo sometimes thell use the english wording and sometimes the japanese and unfortunately, theres not really enough time in class to have a japanese lesson (i wish my class was longer) im having trouble though finding resocres to help me learn the japanese names of my techniques. are there any sorces online you know of that could help me? or just translate the techniques ive been focusing on so far:

forward punch

reverse punch

head block

middle level block

low block

forward snap kick

spinning back kick

side thrust kick

roundhouse

back foot round house (im not sure if thats its real name)

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

oi tsuki

gyaku tsuki

age uke

gedan barai

mae geri

yoko geri

mawashi geri

That is just off the top of my head you see there are a few holes. Take a look at the sticky thread for terms in general martial arts.

im okay at converstional japanese but im fairly new to dojo japanese. its wierd, at my dojo sometimes thell use the english wording and sometimes the japanese and unfortunately, theres not really enough time in class to have a japanese lesson (i wish my class was longer) im having trouble though finding resocres to help me learn the japanese names of my techniques. are there any sorces online you know of that could help me? or just translate the techniques ive been focusing on so far:

Just keep in mind that most karate instructors don't speak Japanese, Dojo japanese and what people would say in Japan are often different.

forward punch - Oi Tsuki

reverse punch - Gyaku Tsuki

head block - Jodan Uke (Age is rising block, Jodan is upper level. Different name for the same thing, isshin ryu usually uses Jodan uke)

middle level block - Chudan uke

low block - Gedan Barai

forward snap kick - Mae Geri

spinning back kick - Ushiro geri

side thrust kick - Yoko Geri is propably what you'll hear.

roundhouse - Mawashi geri

back foot round house (im not sure if thats its real name) - Mawashi geri

The names can vary from club to club, ask your instructor if he has a list.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Don't worry. When I started karate I had the same problem.

I would suggest that you buy a book with all the various terms, what they mean in English and how to perform them. I have John Van Weenen's "The Beginners Guide to Shotokan Karate" and Sensei Enoeda's Shotokan grading syllabus book (from 10th Kyu to 6th Kyu). Both of these are invaluable to me. I'm always referring back to them after class if I'm unsure of something we've learned that day, or if I can't remember a kata etc.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.