• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decisions Decisions Decisioins!!!

Well, as you all know, summer is dawning upon us. I'll finally have some time on my hands. So far in the 1.5 years I've been studying the martial arts I haven't really picked up a MA weapon. However, I have been frustrated in what to choose.

Being a kicker, some say I should pick up a small hand weapon like the chucks, sais, kamas, escrima(s), walking cane. I hear that sais, escrimas, and canes do poorly in kata tournaments (competition does hold importance to me).

Sometimes I imagine weilding a katana, or doing pole-vaulting kicks with a bo, but I just don't know. I heard katanas do espeically poorly in kata tournaments (anyone seen differently?).

Someone else suggested I try to do something drastically unique and attempt to develope or find a "belt" kata. Sounds impractical, but definately something you'd always have with you.

Lately I've been thinking about learning Sais, but hearing that they are looked down upon at tournaments discourages this. Sometimes I do the same with the katana, and also note that it will cover-up my kicking repritore. However, a good price of a katana at my dojo makes me flinch at the decision. Any advice or further questions. Views and opinions greatly appreciated.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well it all depends on the type of competition you are entering. If you go to Open tournaments, then I would say that the flashier weapons katas is the way to go, even with music, at least that's how I've seen it in the past.

However if you attend a traditional tournament, and enter the Kobudo tounament, then do away with the flashy moves. Plus I've never heard a musical weapons kata at a traditional tourney.

In regards to the Sai, they are a good weapon, it'll just boil down to the manipulation of the weapon, and of course the judges. I used the Sai in competition before, and unfortunately they tend to get heavy. I was relatively new to the Sai, as I've never really used them before or actually learned a kata for their use.

The thing with the Sai which I have since learned is having good wrist snap to give the "bounce" effect. Also when bring the Sai around your head, make sure your whole arm goes around your head. That way you don't clip your noggin with one of the side prongs. It hurts :cry: .

I've seen some Katana katas in competition, and again it came down to the use of the katana. Perhaps the best Katana comp. I've seen was when they actually had the cutting excercise. I forget the proper term for it, but that was more exciting than just the watching the kata. Well hope this was of some use.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Kamas are a good first weapon as they can be used as an extension of the hand techniques and blocks you already know. I like the idea of the belt...but think about other things around you that you can use as a weapon too. I have seen katas with chairs, small benches, brooms, chopsticks, etc.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

thanx...

Just one question: is it true that there are four or more ways to hold a sai?

1. The dagger.

2. The four fingers gripping the side prong-axel. This is more of a transition to the third one:

3. Holding the spike itself. This allows one to use the hilt as a weapon in the case that a backward/side jab to the ribs. Also for "controled force" if you simply want to stop your opponent and not kill 'em.

4. The reverse dagger (holding it as if to do a downwards strike).

One last question... Because the sai is usually heavy metal, are there some strikes that utilize it more as a club than a spike.

Just curious because this would effect my decision to learn sais or not.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

There are perhaps many ways to hold the Sai depending on the strike(s) you want to utilize. You can strike with the butt end as if you were punching, you could stab with the main shaft, or you can use the side prongs to hook, trap, and rip. You can also throw the Sai as if it were a large knife. Always remember that when you hold the Sai with the main shaft forward, don't hook your thumb(s) inside the prong.

As for the the clubbing strikes vs. the stab, I'd describe the clubbing strike being done with more of a wrist snap effect. Not like the clubbing effect or say a baseball bat. If that makes any sense :-? . It's like a whipping type strike, so as you strike your target, you have the added pull back like a punch.

In one of our Sai katas, we even have a flat spin type of a move with the Sai. Very quick, but have to watch out for the feet in case you miss catching it at the right time :lol: .

I hope this will help you in your decision, the Sai is in my opinion a nice weapon to workout with, but it does take some time to get use to. It will build the arms and all :brow: .

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Thanx again.

Yep, Sais are heavier than most implements their size. If I do buy one I'm going to weigh one just for kicks.

as far as the more traditional weapons go, get kamas. if you can master the technique of spinning them by their strings, you will most likely do very well.

however, you should really look into the wushu weapons, like the broadsword(and also double broadsword)or spear. i was watching a weapon tournament one time, and all the contestants were good. there was bo, katana, kama and one guy had the broadsword. well like i said the other ppl were good with their weapons but the broadsword blew them all away, no problem. so dont limit yourself to the more common weapons like bo.

-edit- i would not reccomend sai. that they are heavy does not matter to me(lol im used to a 10 pound kwan dao) but they really are not that flashy and are very limited to what you can do in tournaments. they generally do not do so well in competition.

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.