KaratekaAikidoist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm...........Fireka, I am a shodan in Goju, thats half the reason I want to take ninjutsu. Rich, I just don't understand. I also told you I didn't want to be a "holywood" ninja. I don't know if you read the "didn't" part. It seems to me that you think I said I wanted to be one. I said the exact opposite. It takes years to master something. It kinda makes me angered that you'd take me for one of those guys who wants the belt without the work.

Apart from karate my other main love is taijutsu, including the ninja schools, if you hadn't already guessed. Its still got a glamourous image so people are attracted to its mystery. Like any art to be good requires hard training, common sense and intelligent analysis as well as many other attributes. Yes it has lots of weapons, yes it has survival elements, philosophy and more & yes it's great fun. However, any martial art studied properly has so many things going for it that you just cannot see until you reach a level of mastery so don't start writing off your own art necessarily and getting all 'grass is greener on the other side' because you'll miss much. Karate practitioners for example can find many levels of kata bunkai including learning that kata moves can actually 'make' the opponent respond in a certain way so the follow up becomes logical and obvious, and sometimes very dangerous- the chudan punch actually goes to the head as an example from one sequence. What about the Bubishi? Have you read and studied it? There is so much stuff that many don't know about that either training and/or master instructors will reveal as you go...

I'm not trying to put anyone off studying taijutsu, far from it, but I want to rebalance things for anyone interested.

Regards

Rich

Well, why did you act like I was some wannabe martial artist? I don't want to learn to much about ninjutsu in case I decide to take it some day. That way, the instructor can teach me things without me acting like I know everything. I was simply interested in how someone could "make" a smoke bomb because that sounds very difficult.

KA-glad you've clarified your position. I know your first post said you didnt want to be a Hollywood ninja but then you make a daft post about smoke bombs- and that made you sound like the people we encounter frequently and groan about. Take a 'rule' from NLP which is 'the meaning of your communication is the response you get' and you will see that other posters got the same impression too. Plus I gave you a lot of contacts in your state and two days later you are posting, 'I want to take ninjutsu, but I cannot find a dojo'- no thanks for the assistance and no recognition of it either. That also seemed like someone who wanted everything on a plate.

Now, assuming you didnt mean to convey those impressions I'd like to ask why those schools I sent you aren't suitable?

Take care

Rich

Sorry Rich, didn't mean to be rude. I thought I thanked you. The reason those schools aren't taking my interest is that I'm not close to any of them. I've said before, I live in the middle of nowhere. Another reason is I can't drive because I'm too young. No offense, those schools are fine, but I'm no where near them. I've looked for a dojo nearby and the ones I do find, don't call back or don't have a number I can find. And do the ninjutsu dojo's still participate in all the ninja "activities" such as powder making and such?

Hi KA.

No problem. I know its difficult, are train prices not reasonable where you are- or are the distances that huge? No idea how far those places in Ohio are from you- can you give me a mileage for perspective?

The site I gave does a lot of good videos that will give you a good taste anyway.

With regards to smoke bombs etc, yes, some instructors will teach this- others wont know about them. It depends on the instructors interests- at a certain level though it would be expected for instructors to have at least a basic working knowledge of all aspects of the art. The blinding powders do contain secret ingredients, although it shouldnt be too hard for a dedicated practitioner to find out the sort of ingredients that go in from other sources.

Best wishes

Rich

The closest dojo out of the ones you gave me is about 45 miles. I have dojo's near here but none of them are ninjutsu and thats what I'm looking for. There is only my dojo and one more. They are 20 miles apart distance wise. I read somewhere that to make a metsubishi, you hollow an egg and fill it with "stuff" (I don't want to say because we may get some people who could hurt others) I'm not trying to "brag" that I know, I was interested if dojo's stay traditional with powders and distraction devices.

Hi KA

45 miles if there is a train/ coach route doesn't seem too bad. Should take an hour each way roughly based on UK speeds, and numbers of stations on a local route here. Let me know if its that different.

I used to finish work at 5:30. Walk home for 5:45. Scoff sandwiches until 6 and then travel two hours across UK for two hours training. I got home at midnight. You are under 18, right? So that would be unrealistic for you but 45 miles should be a surmountable obstacle. What about your parents driving you- you could pay petrol if their money is tight.

An egg is a useful natural structure because it can hold things and breaks easily to release them.

Martial arts should be living traditions so staying in the past isnt always appropriate. For example modern guns are a part of many black belt curriculums nowadays. I think the 'old' needs preserving but the underlying principles are what move forward and adapt what you do.

Speak to you soon

Rich

Rich if i may say something your not going to like in the slightest. :lol: i mean i think your both right, its important to train with modern guns for self defense reasons but i still say it depends on why your there. self defense, tradition, culture (im not sure about tournamnet though in ninjitsu is there such a thing?) i mean there really is no wrong answer in that department except (I want to learn how to beat the @#!$^* out of ppl"

at the same time i personaly belive that while its all fine and dandy if your there because you want to defend your self, or because you like to compete, or in ninjitsu's case, youd like to become taco bells industrial espionage agent and assisante Mcdonalds employes and stuff. (J/K MCdee's managers) but even still theres only one right answer for being there to: To perfect ones character. thats just what my sensai told me though. im not sure how hard it is to find a 'traditional' Ninjitsu school because im not really in that art. in fact, now that i think about it, i know very little about ninjitsu! other than i think it means "Way of the ninja" but wait, wouldnt that have to have "Do' somewere in it? I also know that unlike other styles, it has way more than just combat tacticts. i really should research this further.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty