KaratekaAikidoist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that with all the dojos from three different organisations that I sent you there isn't one close enough?????

You want to learn how to make smoke bombs? Give me strength- you look for a rich tradition that incorporates different schools, natural movement generating high power levels, philosophy, psychology, survival etc etc and you post that. I guess that you may be too young really to gain anything from the art and would urge you to get some of the more sensationalist films on video and indulge in some fantasy as a real dojo probably wouldn't be too happy to have someone with an attitude like that.

Rich

lol, karateakidoist, rich is a good guy but can be kind of harsh sometimes. maybe, what he meant to say is, try getting something similar to closure in your other two styles first, like getting shodan in Goju okay? then research ninjitsu a little more and see if then its still something you want to do. thats what im doing, i want to take japanese sword but im going to wait and at least make san kyu in isshinryu first (but i intend of course to still practice isshinryu and continue through my training)

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Hi Fireka. No, I meant what I said, mate, but thanks for trying to make out I'm gentler than I am :) Ninjutsu attracts many immature people and unbalanced individuals who are on weird trips and it gets quite frustrating for instructors when they keep coming out of the woodwork. Now I'm not saying our friend is unbalanced- what I am saying is if you haven't got commitment, common sense and a desire to learn kihon for many years and just want kuji and smoke bombs and all the sensationalist stuff then real ninjutsu may not be for you- maybe when you are older and wiser perhaps but not now.

With regards to practicing two martial arts together- it can be very difficult especially if the principles of each art are in conflict. In taijutsu (ninjutsu) the body is kept very relaxed and flowing and power is generated through bodyweight movement not hip twisting and kime. The fundamentals are very different to modern karate although the original karate I mention in other posts comes alot closer in many respects so would pose less of an issue. However, it is still best,as you say Fireka, to get a good foundation in one art first. The only issue there being that you have to unlearn a host of things when you start the other art. Karateka are usually the hardest to train in taijutsu as they have generally got use to thinking of tension as strength, showing great focus in kata and having abrupt motions when doing blocks and punches, for example. Not all but most.

In respect of sword work, Fireka, are you after kenjutsu, kendo or iaijutsu and have you looked at any styles? There are many bad instructors out there when it comes to weapons training so you'll have to look carefully. I can't see too much of a problem learning karate and katana together really, although I appreciate your dedication to your new style, but do what feels right to you.

Anyway take care

Rich

i agree rich. i can defnitly see were it would attract ninja turtle wanna be's. i to, am somewhat attracted to ninjitsu, but i figure i wont play with fire till i feel like getting burned. :wink: Im not researching to thourley right now, i just know im VERY attracted to the sword (who wouldnt be?) but i also know this about isshinryu: we practice three weapons, bo, tonfa, and my personal favorite, the sai. these weapons are taught and used in a way approprite to there okinawain origins (as far as use goes) they are anti sword in manner as we use them, so training first in how to defeat the sword with my isshinryu weapons, then how to use the sword itself would forge a perfect ying-yang would it not? i dont plan on training in sword till i know at least one kata for each weapon, does this make since? your advice would be appriciated.

You can buy smoke bombs at a fireworks tent. You can buy high-quality smoke grenades off the internet. You can learn to make smoke bombs off the internet.

Ninjutsu incorporates much more than learning how to make slow-burning explosives. However, if you are more intrested in those, then ninjutsu will be a complete waste of time.

Even though I know little into the training of the art, ninjutsu is a broad, extensive survival/stealth/martial art/etc. To try and focus on such a small part of the art does not show true intrest in it, it shows intrest in flashy, smoky, hollywood effects.

Do not go silently into that good night.

Rage, Rage, Against the dying of the light.

- Dylan Thomas

Hi fireka

Learning the Okinawan weapons and the sword would be great. Your understanding of both sides of a conflict using these could be enhanced.

As for waiting til you've learned one kata for each weapon I wouldn't say it would matter too much. After all you are already learning three different weapons anyway. I don't use sai/tonfa- I do train the bo but there are differences in how I do this as I use taijutsu.

However, what I will say, and what's most important, is that your attitude is good. This is so important and I am glad to see your consideration for various factors coming through. If you use common sense and get good information then you wont go far wrong- I will be happy to give any help I can and I will say when I haven't got the answer & I would say Hobbitbob is another good resource too. Your sensei gives you another opinion. With three viewpoints and your own thoughts you are on a good footing.

I dont know where you are but I seem to recall a chap called Higuchi in Ohio in the eighties who was a great sword teacher but I haven't found him on the web. Good hunting for someone.

Just for info- Iaijutsu is drawing the sword-an art in itself because the first cut could be the decisive one. It involves drawing from all sorts of positions. I learnt a nifty one for a narrow hallway the other day- one where you wouldn't generally think of using a long weapon.

Kenjutsu is generally the actual part of the conflict when you have your sword drawn and are engaging the opponent.

Regards

Rich

thanks rich. yea, that sounds like a plan, but i have to of course deal with the other problems that stood in my way in isshinryu: time, money, school.

we actually have a lot of sword schools downtown in a part of richmond called the fan. im sure at least one is good, if i stay in VA. but if nothing else i will have to wait till i graduate high school, theres no way i have time for serious study in two styles when im going to school and working at Taco Bell (dont laugh). i want a good training, gotta make sure i dont bite off more than i can chew. money would also be an object, the only reason im able to take isshinryu now is because my school is so cool, and so none profit, its only $35 a month and the training is solid. its the most un mcdojoy school ive seen. thats part of why i want a stable ground in isshinryu first though, because that will give me time to straighten some things out before i try and study sword. you know, finish high school, get into collage, i also plan on getting a job in private security this summer (im qualified through a law enforcment course at the technical center ive been taking for two years) then ill quit taco bell and be making way more money. its deffinitly on my list of things to do before i make k-1 heavy weight champion of the world :wink: but i just gotta strighten stuff out first so i have time to study seriously and am not just playing light saber wars with my bokken when i should be doing my homework (not that id do that, i know im gonna get nailed for saying that one!)

oh yea! ive heard of that style! i thought it was called something else at first (i wont say WERE i heard of it) but its like learning to draw the sword and strike in one fluid motion right? so your opponet is finnished before the fight even begins.

I'm glad you seem to have found a non-money grabbing school and can fully understand your current financial position so, yes, put off the sword until it's the right time.

Hey, I'm not against Star Wars re-enactments (although not in homework time of course!) but probably too old myself- but then again :lol:

Generally you are correct. Sometimes however you strike with the hilt as you draw forward and/or rotate to strike. All movements are as fluid as possible.

Also learning to jam the draw with your free hand so you can then draw and cut yourself or, maybe if unarmed, flow into locks etc and then using their sword to cut them. It's all good stuff and great fun.

Take care

Rich