• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate, Aikido and Swordsmanship

KaratekaAikidoist

I take 2 styles, Aikido and Goju Ryu. Goju Ryu has no weapons and Aikido has the sword. I really want to purchase a katana but my parents are 99% against it. A friend who doesn't even take a Martial Art has a katana and he's learning from a book. Please explain to me why I can't have a sword and I'm in the martial arts but someone who isn't is allowed and how I can pursuade my parents.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have a sword and I dont take any sword arts. And you know what, it may seem really cool to have at first, but after a while you realize that its just a waste of money because you can carry it around or anything. If you really want one though, tell your parents that you will pay for it, and tell them that it is to help practice your aikido techniques. Maybe also you could bribe them, telling them you will do stuff around the house more, that will seal the deal.

Your parents will not let you have a katana? They probably view it as something that you will only get yourself in trouble with.

Now remember that many who learn katana in a school start with a wooden practice sword. If I were you that is where I would be thinking. Learn techniques safely first with a practice weapon.

Goju Ryu is usually taught in conjunction with Kobudo. So, yes, Goju has weapons.

Aikido often incorporates Bokken, Hanbo, and Naginata.

Give yourself time. How long have you been practicing?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I agree with Sai.

If you want to practice weapons, buy a wooden practice weapon to start with. There is really no reason to want a real sword, unless you have completely mastered the wooden weapons and want the challenge of using a real blade without getting yourself (or someone else) injured or killed.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

A friend who doesn't even take a Martial Art has a katana and he's learning from a book.

Learning from a book!!!!!!!

I think he should go to a class or something. :kaioken:

http://www.austers.co.uk

One must be like all changes of state.

Solid - Tough and strong!

Liquid - Relaxed and make your techniques flow!

Gas - Fast!

I plan to get a real sword but NOT until I know how to use it. It'll probably take that long to save up the money for it. Good weapons, of any kind, ain't cheap. So get a bokken, start training, and save your money.

I was thinking a sword might make a good backup weapon if you live in an apartment, as we currently do. (I would be extremely hesitant to fire a shotgun at the bad guy when there are people on the other side of the wall.) It occurred to me that, even if you could not use the sword correctly, you could swing it like a baseball bat. If you had a katana, or other type of sword that's sharp nearly all the way up, the bad guy couldn't grab it away from you without losing fingers. So they may have some practical applications even before you learn the correct usage. (I ran this idea by a friend of mine who has some expertise in these matters, and he said "You wouldn't be able to get it out of the scabbard in time." I explained I'd take it out of the scabbard and lay it within easy reach, probably under the bed as if it were a shotgun, and he said, "In that case, it's a reasonable idea.") If anybody else has had occasion to defend the homestead with a sword, let me know how it worked out.