King of Fighters

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorin Ryu Karate starts out rigid like most other styles, but as you progress and you begin to learn higher forms then it becomes fluid and exsplosive. They use finger jabs and even toe kicks, which just the sound of a toe kick makes me cringe.

The higher level kata in shorin ryu look quite close to the Snake and Crane styles of Shaolin or Chuan Fa. Just take a look the Passai or Chinto katas' if you get the chance. Another famous style to tale a look at is Tae Kwon Do. Many of their kata are similar to many of the kata done in Okinawa.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

Which would you reccomend to take Shorin Ryu or Tae Kwon Do? Which would have better self defence skills? And is shorin ryu better than most karate styles?

I would think that would depend on who is teaching the style, and their approach.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

It really isn't good to try to say that one style is better than another style. They all have strenghts and weaknesses. And how effective a style is largely depends on what you are able to get out of it. Some of that depends on your instructor and some depends on how much you are willing to work with what you are taught and make it your own.

For a "quick look" at Okinawan Matsubayashi Ryu Shorin Ryu, try https://www.shorinryu.dk .

There are mpegs of the Kata.

Different branches of SHorin Ryu use different kata.

In Seibukan our Kata are similar to those of Matsubayashi Ryu, since Nagamine Shoshin was instructed by Kyan Chotoku, as was Shimabukuro Zempo.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

It is definitly more street effective. I know I just stepped on some toes, but I'm not trying to be politically correct. Let's not kid ourselves- all styles were not created equal. Some people knew what they were doing better than others.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

ohh, tough topic, i dont like making okinawain styles and japanese styles compared, i dont know why it just makes me quizzy. theres enough conflict between japanese, chinese, and korean with out spliting up the section of asia i call 'karate land'

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

and I thought shaolinwolfs forum was full of "which style is the best" people. Listen King of Fighters, when you take the concept of style away from the martial arts, then all the arts become the same. Style is just the flavor, you practice what tastes good. Through my eyes Shorinryu is beautiful and powerful, if I was lucky enough to find a shorinryu sensei who could meet my picky standards in my area you bet I would sign up in a second. But that aside, i would take just as much caution when fighting a tae kwan do fighter or a choy li fut practitioner. Like a heard someone say ealier, it's the teacher who makes the difference.

I would on the account of having studied both arts TKD and Shorin-ryu. Choose Shorin ryu. More often then not TKD teachers just do not have the ability to explain their art very much other than a few simple moves and beyind that a lot of fancy kicking mainly useful in a controlled competition. Though you may also find this to be true of the Shorin ryu school. And I have to agree with what was said earlier. It does come down to the instructor. It's just, because of the immense popularity of TKD, too many Mcdojo's pop up and it is hard to locate a TKD school worth going to.

In the end, make your own choice. But choose wisely!

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching