• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryu karate

King of Fighters

Heck yes we are! The lineage goes like this. The Okinawans were at war with the Japanese invaders, and were not aloud to use weapons. They figured out they could use farm tools as weapons and made the art of kobudo. Well, the Japs already had there own style of kickboxing cooked up, and the Okinawans adopted it. The Chinese also passed through trading and selling things, and brought with them Kung Fu. The Okinawans mixed the hardness of the Kickboxing with the roundness of Kung Fu to make Okinawan Karate. That's why Okinawan Karate has better grappling than Japanese. Two main schools of thought evolved, Shorin ryu and a competing school. Shorin ryu branched off into the three main Okinawan styles, and the other school developed Shotokan. So our style is one of the oldest Karates out there. We use high stances, and learn the principals to make self defence moves for variuos holds. Once you have a black belt and about four years of experience and alot of hard training, you will have some very street effective material.

Your is history is VERY WRONG! Shorin-ryu developed from Tomari-Ti, Shuri-Ti and Chaun FA. It was not used to fight the Satsuma clan. It was used by the upper class to defend themselves from attackers. Try reading real history and not the garbage that is made up to make Karate look like it came from noble orgins.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Sells' "Unante" , Mike Bishop's "Secrets of Okinawan Karate" and Harry cook's "Shotokan Karate: A Precise History" are excellent sources to find out the history of Karate. The Sells and Bishop books should be available at any chain bookstroe, the Cook book is a little harder to find.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Yes I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject. If you want to post YOUR version of the history then go right ahead.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

this goes back to what wcnavstar was saying..

it's like that with every art. i have lost count of the karate dojos i have visited and had to bring a box of cleanex with me so i could wipe away the tears. what saddens me is the amount of schools that say they teach "traditional" [whatever that is suposed to mean anymore] karate.. but all they really teach you is block countering drills for winning tournaments and competition fighting. or places where you train your karate techniques and katas hard... but when it comes time for sparring it looks more like boxing or some half ass backyard ufc match.

Yes I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject. If you want to post YOUR version of the history then go right ahead.

Thats a nice mindset you have there. Unfortunatley you are dead wrong. Your history is hand-me-down, where it deevolves into legend. You probally also believe that Karateka trained to punch through Samurai armour too :lol:

ok, thanks for the enlightenment. :roll: and no, im not that kind of dumb ass.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Go to talk to the sensei of the club and hear himout on his view on good and bad Karate/martial arts. Our sensei is black belt in several karate styles and chinese MA, his philosophy is that there are basically two types of karate: good and bad. i wont offend anyone on by saying which is which.

Read a book!

As one can tell from my name, I like Shorin Ryu. Anyhow, I have taken both Shorin Ryu and TKD and I have to say that I much prefer Shorin Ryu. This is only because my experience with TKD was rather negative, as they were very tournament focuses rather than some practical applications (and for this i speak only for the particular group I have had experience with). Although i have noticed some trends...but I don't want to offend anyone, and remember the style is only as good as the practicioner.

Shorin Ryu, to me, seems more practical. At any rate, my teacher insists on teaching it as bujutsu rather than budo. This means that bujutsu, focuses on the combative nature rather than the philosophical nature, as true to its origins. This is not to say that there are no benefits of the mental and spiritual kind, in fact, they are numerous. However, lets be realistic and remember its history and development.

Also, with respect to Okinawan vs. Japanese karate, I would choose Okinawan. Japanese karate, is a derivative of Okinawan karate, brought over mainly by Gichin Funakoshi. In his own words, he said that the style of karate taught in Japan is vastly different then that which he learned as a youth in Okinawa and that he greatly simplified all the kata which he brought over.

See...I like to ramble...

Another thing, as mentioned somewhere, the kata does become more advanced and more circular. I was actually under the impression that Shorin Ryu was in fact, a hard and rigid style, but it is actually not. This was based on my early learning of the naihanchi and the pinan (the pinan i consider kind of dumb for reasons i will explain in a little bit), but now that I know the passai, chinto, and the kusanku kata (don't know gojuushiho yet, its a 2nd dan kata), it is very circular and in the obvious case of chinto, very Chinese. Wow, thats a long sentence...and moving right along.

I kind of dislike the Pinan kata because they are very simplified kata invented and spread by Itosu in the very early 1900s to introduce to the curriculum of young kids. Obviously, they were very watered down versions of other kata, such as the Passai and Kusanku kata.

One thing to focus on the kata though, and this is sort of unrelated to the topic, but make sure you practice them with a focus on application, otherwise it turns into some silly dance that anyone can do...

Wow, I like this forum...Take care everyone!

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Which Shorin Ryu do you practice? I do Seibukan. We have a few Matsubayashi practitoiners here,as well.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!