• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryu karate

King of Fighters

Well, as some of you may know, my muay thai club, is closing. My nieghbour takes Traditional Okinowin Shorin Ryu karate, and he sais its really good and i should start taking it. Could any one tell me about the style, like its history, wither it uses low stances or high stances, if its good for self defence, what type of attacks it uses..ect. That would be very much appriciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three main lines of shorin ryu. It is an Okinawan based style that uses higher stances. They do the traditional pinan/naihanchi katas.

Nagamine's book is the one that is best known about the style.

You start learning basic skills and go from there. You may find it slow moving at first. But you will be learning katas so that might help with some of the boredom. Because if you have been doing muay thai you will have some of the basic skills allready. And there may be a few habits they will want you to unlearn.

Shorin ryu starts with basic blocks and punches. It uses linear motions. I think hung gar is more circular.

I am not sure it is possible to say that any one style is more effective than any other due to the differences in how a person can adapt what they are learning to the situation they find themself in. Some who do well in sparring situations don't do well in a "real life" self defense application. It is not necessarily the training that comes into play as much as it is the mental state of the person who has trained.

And one of the goals of traditonal Japanese/Okinawan karate is to not actually have the fight.

Heck yes we are! The lineage goes like this. The Okinawans were at war with the Japanese invaders, and were not aloud to use weapons. They figured out they could use farm tools as weapons and made the art of kobudo. Well, the Japs already had there own style of kickboxing cooked up, and the Okinawans adopted it. The Chinese also passed through trading and selling things, and brought with them Kung Fu. The Okinawans mixed the hardness of the Kickboxing with the roundness of Kung Fu to make Okinawan Karate. That's why Okinawan Karate has better grappling than Japanese. Two main schools of thought evolved, Shorin ryu and a competing school. Shorin ryu branched off into the three main Okinawan styles, and the other school developed Shotokan. So our style is one of the oldest Karates out there. We use high stances, and learn the principals to make self defence moves for variuos holds. Once you have a black belt and about four years of experience and alot of hard training, you will have some very street effective material.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

It it's techniques are alot of closed fists, and it has the aggresiveness of a tiger style.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

If you want some grappling, than yes. If you want just kickboxing basically, than Japanese is.