• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo Karate?

aznkarateboi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are several styles of Kenpo- Chinese (a misnomer common in the West), Japanese, Okinawan, and American. And these are divided further into many schools or associations. But most (at least the ones I've heard of) share a common origin and so have certain things in common. Kenpo trains as a mostly stand up fighting art, though many do teach ground fighting as well. It trains at all fighting ranges, including stand up grappling. It is a ballanced art, training equally the hard moves of karate and the soft moves typical of CMA. Different schools have different philosophies on weapons. American Kenpo, which is my base, mostly trains with weapons you will likely encounter on the street. I don't know about other styles, but AK trains heavily in understanding the principles behind what you are doing. A good example of the usefulness of this is that a lot of the principles in AK's stand up grappling apply directly to ground fighting. But you must recognize them, be able to evaluate them and modify their use in order to make the transition in your training. Kenpo is generally well known as a dynamic, flowing art- mobile, with solid defense and devastating offense, and no wasted motion.

Your question was general in nature, so this is a pretty general response. If you want more specific info, ask and I'll answer if I can.

Freedom isn't free!

aznkarateboi,

If you do a search you'll find many posts on Kenpo/Kempo. There you'll find additional information about the art. Some of the past post also address the differnt styles of Kenpo/Kempo.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Kempo actually translates into "Fist Law" or "Law of the Fist"

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

Who knows - I have lways been told it means fist law and only seen it translated as such.

Either way I think kenpo is a very effective art - its techniques are very short and to the point.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?