• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If Martial arts really came from India. WHy is'nt there Martial Arts in India ???

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here's a reference page listing a number of them for you. http://winstonstableford.com/Indian.html

Just because they aren't popular where you are (or where I am either for that matter) doesn't mean there aren't any :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

So THAT's where the chackrum comes from! I used to wonder about that. Very interesting...

Would you consider yoga a fringe martial art maybe? I mean in its in its more traditional form, and not what you see at the local fitness center. I think that originated in the area now known as India as well.

Never thought about it, but here's something that supports your theory....

As the founder of physical exercise was an Indian Prince on a journey following the spread of Buddhism into the orient, it is not surprising that many aspects of Yoga are also part of Shaolin Kung Fu. Many believe that the harder aspects of Yoga merged with hard Chi Kung.

http://www.shaolin.com.au/kungfu.html

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

i do not consider yoga a form of gungfu. in fact, i have heard that practicing both can be deterimental to both. usually one suffices and provides some cross benefits of the other.

the reasoning behind the person's opinion about not doing both was that they produce different kinds of bodies and strengths (and weaknesses). essentially they were saying the kind of body that yoga promotes is not idea for some of the gungfu ideals.

i haven't really thought about this hard enough to say one way or the other, and i don't really know enough about yoga personally to make a judgement, but this guy had done both for years. he said once he stopped yoga, his MA improved significantly. maybe that's just his experience though.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

i do not consider yoga a form of gungfu. in fact, i have heard that practicing both can be deterimental to both. usually one suffices and provides some cross benefits of the other.

the reasoning behind the person's opinion about not doing both was that they produce different kinds of bodies and strengths (and weaknesses). essentially they were saying the kind of body that yoga promotes is not idea for some of the gungfu ideals.

i haven't really thought about this hard enough to say one way or the other, and i don't really know enough about yoga personally to make a judgement, but this guy had done both for years. he said once he stopped yoga, his MA improved significantly. maybe that's just his experience though.

I don't think anyone was saying that Yoga was a form of gungfu, nor did anyone mention doing the two together. We were just wondering what martial arts come from India and if you could possibly consider ancient/traditional yoga one of them. I doubt it, though, since I haven't found any evidence of it being used for combat (hence "martial"). But that is not to say that certain aspects of yoga NEVER played a role in the development of martial arts (maybe proper breathing or something?). It's almost impossible to keep a cultural entity completely isolated from any and all influence.

Indian martial arts just don't have the world exposure that the Japanese/Okinawan and Chinese arts have.

Remember that the Japanese/Okinawan arts didn't spread much outside their local area until after WW2 when servicemen brought them home with them. And that Chinese arts did not spread much until the cultural revolution when people left China if the could.