• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay I have been reading up on the art via the web and I like how it is based greatly around a very passive attitude. My question is this. If it is 100 % defensive can it be adapted to be used in another way?

Example..... I am at a party and some drunk idiot tries to start a fight with a friend of mine. My friend cannot defend himself and needs my help. The drunk guy has not physically attacked me but I want to help.

A) Would stepping in and going "offensive" be wrong by aikido standards because I myself was not in any danger?

B) Would aikido teachings help me in this situation?

I understand it has a lot to do with not confronting someones oncoming attack directly but more to dodge and throw them off balance so is 100 % of aikido based on ONLY if someone is coming directly at you? Would I be able to use some of the arm throws or locks to go offensive so to speak to stop someone from attacking someon else?

Sorry My posts always get so long. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dustin,

While I do not claim to know anything about Aikido I'm sure you could apply their techniques in a pre-emptive attack. But why? If some drunk guy had too much loud-mouth soup your best choice in that situation is to get your friend out of there. Negotiating with drunk people is pretty difficult in the first place. And if punches haven't been traded off yet, then just get out. Your reputation won't be damaged by leaving. The people who want to fight will be the one's with a bad image.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Different schools of Akido offer varying training in regards to initiating action. An art which allows only reactionary responses will fall if you cannot bait your opponent into comitting (IOW, you can't execute techniques to an arm off a jab, because there is no comittal).

Often, Akido accomplishes this through the use of Atemi (strikes).

remember in late stages every blow or attack can be used effectifley. even if the guy just walks up to you and touches you with one hand he would be already on the floor.

Be everything. Be nothing.

kle1n,

If I feint, you have three choices: do nothing, defend, attack.

If you do nothing, one of the feints will connect and you will be hit.

If you defend, you will not have a technique on me because I did not actually bring one to you. I can feint repeatedly and see exactly what response to expext, or I can hit on your recovery with a stuttered attack.

If you attack, you have the opportunity to get me, but you are running into the initial problem.

even if the guy just walks up to you and touches you with one hand he would be already on the floor.

I'd pay to see that.

go to a good dojo and ask a student who has been doing it for at least 10 years. then u will see.

Be everything. Be nothing.

Defending against a drunk, well I think any MA has techniques to deal with that. Its just whether you have the bottle at that time and place to do it.

However, I dont care what people say, Aikido is effective. The question is, can you stick at it long enough for it to be so.

Jerry,

I have been working on the jab idea, its the same as dealing with the shomen strike, enter deeply and keep control of the elbow. Seems to have worked well so far.

Regards,

go to a good dojo and ask a student who has been doing it for at least 10 years. then u will see.

Last tried that about a year ago. There was some very good material there, and if they had a better schedule (compared to mine) I would have ben there on my off-days palying... but they did not have an efective response to fast, non-committal attacks that did not involve either attacking, or baiting for a committal attack.

So, I'd still like to see that... it's not really possible.

I have been working on the jab idea, its the same as dealing with the shomen strike, enter deeply and keep control of the elbow. Seems to have worked well so far.

So you stood at punching range, and had uke try to touch you and pull his hand back as fast as he could, and you moved your entire body in before he retracted to a guard? You are the fastest person I have ever heard of (or your uke was very slow).

We have an experiment in a phase 1 class (action vs reaction) where one person stands with his hands 6 inches or so apart, and the other has to reach between those hands, touch the person, and retact his hand without being hit.

Superb reaction (the "I'm REALLY paying attention" kind) is around .1 seconds for most people. A jab thrown for speed lasts around .2 seconds. Meaning you have to move your entire body in half the time it would take you to throw a jab. Can you actually move your body twice as fast as you can move your arm?