Confideantial

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many of us who's life revolves around the study of the martial arts. Kepping your intrests secret is a very hard thing to do. If you boast your budo background you will be met with some admiration, but mostly you will be hunted down as an ego booster and when you don't pay up you only end up looking bad.

Just use your head and choose wisely whom to bring into your circle of trust.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

My friend, i must strongly DISAGREE that it is a good idea to tell your opponent in a street fight that you do martial arts. It is better to not tell him, then kick his ass.lol

I don't actively advertise that I'm in martial arts, but if it comes up in conversation I'm more than willing to talk about my experience (as little as that is). As for telling a street fighter that you do martial arts, that's the last thing you should do. Far better to make him think you're an easy fight and then give him a nasty surprise than to announce it before anything starts.

• 2 weeks later...
i dunno what y'all are talking about. i'm proud to be a martial artist. when i first meet someone and they ask me what i'm in to, i say "well, i like music, and reading, and i'm a martial artist...". a great ice breaker. maybe it's not a big deal 'round WI, but whatever. heck, i wear some of my old gi tops as over shirts, i guess i even litterally advertise. heh heh. as for the street fight, if they provoke you, they're not gonna let you go whether your a martial artist or not. it really dosen't matter if you tell them, the out come will always be the same :karate: :brow:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I'm like most of the people here. I don't go walking around in my gi nor do I go tell random people that I do martial arts. But if they ask me what my hobby is or if anyone is simply around me for an extended period of time, they know I do it because invariably it might come out in conversation somehow. I'm proud of what I do. Then again, I also agree with most of the people here when they say they would not say "Hey, I do martial arts" during a streetfight. Such a statement would only serve as a confrontation.

Some of my friends tease me good-naturedly, but they think it is pretty cool that I do martial arts. Of course, some are pretty skeptical, but some of those I've taken out into the dojo and shown them some things and they've changed their minds. Then again, there are those that still think that "yeah, that stuff doesn't work in a real fight" and there's always a few that when they walk by the dojo at my school that think it is really cool to make kiai noises or poke fun, and that is perhaps very frustrating because you put so much effort into training and ignorant people just do not understand. I just like to think of it as an exercise in self-control and humility...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Well all this talk brings up a valid question....How do yall feel about people wearing T-shirts with Karate or Jujitsu graphics on it, or maybe even your Dojang logo in print on a t-shirt. I do this out of mere pride of what I do and not to be a braggart. As a martial artist how would you feel if you saw me in an airport with that kind of t-shirt. Would you think I was a show-off looking for trouble, or would you think Im merely proud of what I do???

https://www.kimsookarate.com

Krav-Maga, Tai Chi Chu an, Karate, Aikido, Hapkido, Taekwon Do, Judo

Well all this talk brings up a valid question....How do yall feel about people wearing T-shirts with Karate or Jujitsu graphics on it, or maybe even your Dojang logo in print on a t-shirt. I do this out of mere pride of what I do and not to be a braggart. As a martial artist how would you feel if you saw me in an airport with that kind of t-shirt. Would you think I was a show-off looking for trouble, or would you think Im merely proud of what I do???

If it is merely a dojo shirt, I think it is fine. Some of the "aggressive" t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc.... are a little far out there, though.

An example is the famous one from Century: "Black Belt... don't fear the rank, fear the person wearing it."

Are you so insecure that you must wear such things (usually seen with shaved head/crewcut, rolled up sleeves, sunglasses, driving SUV or Pickup truck, and rarely more than twenty years old!)?

I recall folks from my army days who would go into town (Karlsruhe!) wearing their embroidered "bomber" jackets with nifty army sayings on them, Were they aware that they looked foolish?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

i've heard club t-shirts referred to in some circles as "a$shole magnets" which, depending on context is true. anywhere that testosterone flows freely... pool halls, bars, high school, seem like a good place to prove that theory right.

warning your opponent that you do karate before you pummel him sounds like a great way to completely damn yourself in a post-encounter civil suit.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.