• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Registering as a Lethal weapon

I hear about this, I have seen it, is it right? Is it true? I remember at my old Martial Arts School people from the "Gov't" would stop in and collect the names of students that recived a blackbelt and they would have to sign some paper stating they were a lethal weapon and could not fight anywhere outside of the ring, mat or sanctioned event (being tournys or practicing in a dojo) If you did fight it would have to be total self defense with reasonable use of force. Meaning some guy swings and you put him in an armbar you cant brek his arm but you can try to talk him out of fighting etc..... Anyone else have incounters as these?

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is apparently a myth . Check here at Legal Beagles.

http://www.tafkac.org/faq2k/legal_2007.html

There is also a theory I found on this website: http://www.eemaworld.com/herrmanthesis.htm

that says the myth may have started because black belts in Japan are registered so no-one can claim to be a black belt when they aren't.

Really makes you wonder exactly who was coming to your dojo and getting the black belts to sign these papers...a buddy of the dojo owner perhaps, as a way to emphasize that the skills shouldn't be taken lightly?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Well the owner of the dojo was asian and slightly older. but the main trainer was, or i was lead to believe, american. I remember seeing a tattoo behind his right ear and a tattoo on the inside of his left arm. the one on the left arm had something to do with a sword and some writing. maybe they worked for the gov't and tried to induct the black belts into the military or other gov't agencys :lol: but seriously if you read my other posts about the dojo and the way we trained it sorta seems like a cult or something :-?

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

• 3 weeks later...

y'know, i think those who thinks they should be registered should be kept on a list of some sort...

:)

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

If you get in a fight and you are sued for being a black belt, than schools should change the ranking system to something like stripes or polka dotted belts. Loop hole :lol:

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 1 month later...

You might want to consider that not everyone on this board is from the same country. The laws will be different in most countries. In Canada, your foot is a deadly weapon, regardless of training, if it strikes another person's head. Breaking a person's arm is breaking a person's arm, whether you do it with an arm-bar or a crowbar.

Similarly, no law says you can't defend yourself with a submachine gun, if it's self defense, it's self defense. You would get charged for carrying the submachinegun, unless you had an appropriate license to do so, but not specifically for using it in self-defense.

"Self defense" is not a crime, it is a plea. You can be charged with anything, if it's self-defense, you'll be found not guilty. (in theory) The distinction with training only comes into play if you are determined to have been an antagonist and are found guilty of a crime, in which case whether your hands would be considered deadly weapons depends on whether or not the judge/jury felt you had the reasonable capacity to kill a person with your bare hands.. which most black belts probrably do.

I do believe that some places will register their black belts, as in case you ever flip out and start attacking people, it would help the police take appropriate action (likely opening fire or at least using batons) instead of attempting the takedowns that the police are trained in. (which are likely inferior to those a black belt would be practiced with.)

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• 2 months later...
You might want to consider that not everyone on this board is from the same country. The laws will be different in most countries. In Canada, your foot is a deadly weapon, regardless of training, if it strikes another person's head. Breaking a person's arm is breaking a person's arm, whether you do it with an arm-bar or a crowbar.

Similarly, no law says you can't defend yourself with a submachine gun, if it's self defense, it's self defense. You would get charged for carrying the submachinegun, unless you had an appropriate license to do so, but not specifically for using it in self-defense.

"Self defense" is not a crime, it is a plea. You can be charged with anything, if it's self-defense, you'll be found not guilty. (in theory) The distinction with training only comes into play if you are determined to have been an antagonist and are found guilty of a crime, in which case whether your hands would be considered deadly weapons depends on whether or not the judge/jury felt you had the reasonable capacity to kill a person with your bare hands.. which most black belts probrably do.

I do believe that some places will register their black belts, as in case you ever flip out and start attacking people, it would help the police take appropriate action (likely opening fire or at least using batons) instead of attempting the takedowns that the police are trained in. (which are likely inferior to those a black belt would be practiced with.)

That was my thought, I agree fully.

-SoulAssassin