• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

anyone know anything bad about krav maga?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well, its not really an art, more just a form of self defense for paranoids who think they will be attacked on the street. OK, im exaggerating A BIT.

While KM will help you in street situations, the skills will most likely go to waste. Being purely self defense, it does not seem very exciting and it is not particularly nice to look at.

well, its not really an art, more just a form of self defense for paranoids who think they will be attacked on the street. OK, im exaggerating A BIT.

While KM will help you in street situations, the skills will most likely go to waste. Being purely self defense, it does not seem very exciting and it is not particularly nice to look at.

While KM will help you in street situations, the skills will most likely go to waste. Being purely self defense

KM is one of the LEAST defensive stlyes out there Krav Maga Is Self defense AND FIGHTING...It is know for it's agressivness..."defense" is not empasized like many syles...once you make the initial defense it is all about attacking and finishing the fight...or even a preemptive strike if neccesary.

it does not seem very exciting and it is not particularly nice to look at

well depends on your defenition of "exciting", but I agree Krav Maga is designed to actually work in a real fight not "look cool" like alot of things out there.

the skills will most likely go to waste

If it helps you in the street, how does it go to waste since that is what it is designed for?

Krav Maga was designed to teach people how to fight effectively in a short amount of time. that being said, the only major "downside" that I see, is that it is fairly one-dimensional. i'm not aware of any goal of krav maga OTHER than teaching you how to fight. essentially it's not a martial art persay, but more of a self-defense and fighting system, and little more. not that there's anything wrong with learning how to fight, i'm just saying that it's relatively simple in that regard (whereas some systems offer that and more, KM is essentially "get in shape and fight").

another downside, which isn't really KM's fault, is that it's the latest big fad in "learn effective self defense, get in shape, kick butt!" etc etc

in other words, it hasn't been around long. time will tell in the long run when all the dust settles.

i have heard that it is excellent for instilling the 'fighting instinct' and 'agressive' mindset that TJS speaks of, however.

i have also heard that much of the KM state-side has been watered down.

i can verify neither of these statements.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

It sounds like a very good system for what it claims to teach. If that's what you want, you'll probably be happy with it.

The only possible downside I can see is you have to be willing to take a pounding durring training. Fight full contact and it's going to hurt. Now that's not a downside if you accept that fact but be sure you know what you're getting into.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

The only possible downside I can see is you have to be willing to take a pounding durring training. Fight full contact and it's going to hurt.

Generally the fight Classes are seperate from the regular classes...but once you start getting up in the system there is some pretty heavy contact :D

TJS, while Krav Maga is an effective method of fighting, the skills most likely will go to waste. Even though it is made for fighting on the street, those skills will go to waste because most people will never need them. It lacks other benefits that I would find appealing (it's my opinion, don't get angry). In fact, though most of the hardcore martial artists will open their mouths in disbelief when they read this, I would MUCH rather take TKD or wushu rather than KM because of two reasons.

1- As I said before, I think the flashiness (which is bashed and spat upon in this forum) will aid me more than the fighting skills that I will gain from KM (mostly because I will never have a need for them, but if you do, that's a different story). Let's face it, martial arts are arts and that is the main reason I learn it.

2- Similar to the above, no offense to the Krav Maga practitioners but if I am in a location where self defense is necessary, I would rather invest in a gun than invest hundreds of dollars in a martial art with no other benefits(again, in my opinion).

Remember that this is only my view of the art. Please do not be offended.

sure, there is nothing wrong with playing basketball or gymnastics...as long as you realize what they are for...generally people take MA to learn how to defend themselves or fight since that is what they were made for...If thats not important thats fine...but thats just generally how people judge martial arts.

TJS, about the part where I say KM is not effective and not particularly nice to look at....

By exciting, I mean that the fighting is too straightforward and rigid. While this is effective in actual combat, I would much prefer to enjoy my sparring by doing a more exciting art.

And by "not particularly nice to look at" I mean just that. One of the main plusses of martial arts is that they are attractive and impressive. Krav Maga is not. Unless you consider beating somebody to a bloody pulp impressive. Of course, that is not likely to happen. If you feel that you need the fighting skills and wish to sacrifice excitement, flashiness (which I must stress is absolutely despised in this forum), and money, then take Krav Maga by all means. Otherwise.........