• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I attended my first tough training session in my Muay Thai class last night. The work-out was intense. When I was working out, it was good, but when I was holding the thai pads and feeding the guy I was partnered with, it was brutal. His kicks were so hard, it felt like my forearms were going to break, right through the thai pads, so I have huge bruises on my forearms from that. While I was hitting a focus pad with a down elbow, it was raking the skin off my elbow, so my elbow is all bruised and raw. And during this one drill the feeder was wearing shin pads and we would check his incoming low kick...Damn! Even through the shin pads it felt like I was kicking a baseball bat with my shins when he would check it. So my shin is feeling really messed up.

Is this normal to feel this beat up after a training class?

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
In the beginning it is, but eventually your shins toughen up and the nerves die so you dont feel much when you kick or block. Also your elbow skin toughens up and you wont get these scrapes anymore. As for the thai pads, maybe you were holding them the wrong way and thats why you got bruises there.

ouch. i'm glad i don't study Muay Thai! well. i hope that after a while it won't hurt anymore. you should get used to it after taking a lot of it. good luck!

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

yeh you will eventually get used to it the more you practise it, and your muscles will toughen and be conditioned. start practising slowly and not so hard, then gradually build up speed and strength when you get used hitting the thai pads.

Maybe your class is small so there wasn't an option but you should have been paired with someone closer to your own level. Next time pick someone of the same size and experience. If not both go with similar experience. If your coach is picking partners he is:

A) toughening you up

B) a jerk

C) doesn't have enough students

pick one.

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

Well, it wasn't the head instructor that was choosing that night, he was out. It was an experienced student who seems like a nice enough guy, he is very encouraging, after class he said, "don't worry about it, we just started you off in the deep end, that's all". So I guess I would choose A). I'm gonna be there again tonight, we will see if it goes any better.

GD

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

Ok, well last night I was paired with someone completely different and I still had a point where it felt like my forearm was broken when he was doing roundhouse kicks and I was holding the thai pads. This guy kicked like a mule too, right through the thai pad, it felt like my forearm was broken, of course it wasn't, but I have a knot on the bone and a big bruise this morning. It appears that either thai pads are not as protective as I would hope, or I've just got some serious toughening up to do, because all these guys are experienced and are kicking the cr*p out of me.

GD

G r e e n D r a g o n

I believe most of the pads are ThaiSmai and some are Fairtex.

GD

G r e e n D r a g o n