• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On the dancefloor, how would you handle this situation?

I think you did the right thing. Considering your situation, and location...you have no idea how many of his buddies were around and could have "helped out".

If I were you, I hope I would've done the same thing. If the bouncers hadn't have thrown you guys out, the guy might have kept going. If that happened, I probably would've kneed him in the nuts, since that would end the fight pretty quickly.

I don't know how the legal system works in Norway, but I think you might've gotten in trouble if you bloodied him too bad.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you need to know which side of the line you stand on between self-defense and revenge. You did everything you needed to do in order to defend yourself; if you wanna kick him because he made you upset that's a different matter.

Just a question of curiosity for my fellow nordmann (Bruce___L)

What style do you practice, where do you practice it, and for how long have you?

Cheers

Hello Anzie! Good to see a norwegian here :) . I've trained shotokan karate in Stavanger Karateklubb. Started with that in '94. But I've been practicing kickboxing for almost 3 years now. 2 years in Grimstad, and now in Bergen, where all the european and world champs are you know. There'll be karate european championships in my hometown Stavanger in 2006, maybe I should train some kumite again... :karate:

Thanks for your sharing of opinions guys. I agree that for pure self-defence, I didn't need to beat him up, but there's no question about if he really deserved that. If I was going for a fight, I would have gone for a fast and bloody knock-out, because there were so many people there, you have to end it quick, you don't know if there's a guy behind you, and suddenly you've got a few bottles on your head. But I always have the cops and assault charges in my backhead, that's the only major worry I have.

Danh

Shotokan Karate/Kickboxing and My own style

Have no fear in front of your opponent

I was always told to give three warnings, and loud enough for witnesses to hear. If he didn't stop I would have applied a finger lock. If he tried to get out of that, and the more he struggled, the worse the pain gets ;)

But I think in a crowded place where his buddies could be lurking, it was the right thing to wait for security to take care of it.

Laurie F

I come to you with only karate, empty hands

i have no weapons but should i be forced to defend myself, my principles, or my honor

if it is a matter of life or death, right or wrong, than here are my weapons,

karate, my empty hands.

im not sure if you study karate, but the idea still aplies. let me see now. defend yourself? almost definitley a yes, i dont think you really felt like your life was in danger, probably just because you knew this guy would not be a problem for you with your training. principles? did you feel as though you must protect the principles of your heritage? im not sure this would have been the best time to do that, a fat guy in a bar isnt exactly going to be able to pull off some kind of genocide if you dont beat him up in a norwiegien night club. honor, my sensai has something to say on this, ill qoute him now "Honor in the karate creed does not refer to the japanese concept of 'loosing face' or in other words, fighting because you were insulted. to fight for honor could be used in an example such as a young lady is being taken advantage of in a back alley way and you just keep walking. this would not be honorable. nor would fighting because you were called a name that offended you." Im not saying that was your reason for thinking of fighting, just wanted to see who agreed. again, i dont think YOU felt it was life or death, right or wrong? maybe he was just really drunk and didnt know any better...i guess it depends on what you did to him in the fight. "use just enough force to get away."

will, i think you handled it pretty well, except telling the guy he was going to regret it probably just pushed him on more. ppl are idiots, its like i used to get threatned by these giants in the locker room. youd think tht when i should no fear, even grinned, that suspect i had something up my sleves, but they didnt because there retards, so weather or not he should have been scared, im sure this guy wasnt and saying that made him come for you more. but over all, i thought you did okay, then again it ended kinda prematurely didnt it?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

And then you would have been tackeled by the bouncers, held for the cops to show, and charged with assault.

this isn't a movie. Life has consequences.

:up:

Read a book!