• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just dont see the a huge point in spending the next 50 years training for somethign I may be able to use better after that...I have said before one of The KRav MAga Instructors down here is 70 and still throws down very well....so we are talking about 80+? do you think most people are going to be able to do much of any stlye after that?

A) something that is going to be brutally effective for the next 50+ years

B) something that might be slightly more effective after that?

The choice is obvious to me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJS said:

I just dont see the a huge point in spending the next 50 years training for somethign I may be able to use better after that...I have said before one of The KRav MAga Instructors down here is 70 and still throws down very well....so we are talking about 80+? do you think most people are going to be able to do much of any stlye after that?

You don't realize what I'm trying to say. If a Martial Art is effective when your old, it is effective when your young as well. Certain Martial Arts are only effective when your young, they concentrate on strength, speed, and indurance more so than technique.

Krav Maga is a Combat Style or Street effective Martial Art, it is completely practical and realistic in it's application. I'm sure your instructor is a deadly guy, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Sport Martial Arts age out, meaning they are no longer effecient when you get too old. Comprende?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I don't think there many 80 year old masters who can woop on all the MMA bullies, some of them maybe. 50-60 year old master more likely can woop a good many MMA bullies. You should see my Kung Fu Sansoo Sifu, pretty scary at 65. If someone is just a mixed martial arts practitioner, and not a high ranking competitor, My Sifu will destroy them. Just because people have seen MMA effective in the hands of great fighters like Kerr, Belfort, Tito Ortiz, Ruas and such. It doesn't mean anyone who studies MMA is going to be able take on a Master in a so called "Traditional Martial Art." By the way 80 is pretty old, I never said 80.

TJS said:

You don't realize what I'm trying to say. If a Martial Art is effective when your old, it is effective when your young as well. Certain Martial Arts are only effective when your young, they concentrate on strength, speed, and indurance more so than technique.

Krav Maga is a Combat Style or Street effective Martial Art, it is completely practical and realistic in it's application. I'm sure your instructor is a deadly guy, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Sport Martial Arts age out, meaning they are no longer effecient when you get too old. Comprende?

Sport arts don't age out - competing in them does. what is different between a boxer's straight right and a reverse punch? what about a willow palm strike? they all have similar mechanics, and those mechanics must be honed for the technique to be as effective as possible. you don't lose your technique as you age. with proper mechanics, you will still deliver effective strikes. you will not be able to hang in the ring with younger guys, and maybe not in the street, but that's just the fate of age, not the style you train in.

TJS said, "you mean like one of they key elements of MMA.....BJJ"

Yeah Muy Thai doesn't take speed and strength, or Shoot Fighting or Wrestling. The only MA I agree that strength isn't the most important aspect in the techniques is probably BJJ, but indurance is still a big factor. Besides BJJ is not a MMA, it is it's own Style.

huh? what about judo? sambo? chin na techniques? WWII close combat? Taiji? bagua? There are many styles out there that don't rely on strength and speed. And even for the styles that do rely heavily on that, you must have technique, or the strike will not be as effective/efficient as possible.

As for endurance and grappling, relaxation is a bigger factor than endurance.

SevenStar said:

huh? what about judo? sambo? chin na techniques? WWII close combat? Taiji? bagua? There are many styles out there that don't rely on strength and speed. And even for the styles that do rely heavily on that, you must have technique, or the strike will not be as effective/efficient as possible.

The thread say Traditional or MMA? I say if you plan on studying Martial Arts your entire life, even into old age, you probably won't be studying MMA (Key word Mixed Martial Arts). The Arts where a stronger person excels faster than a smaller, weaker person means that the techniques being taught rely more on strength than technique. So what I'm saying is that Combat Styles of Martial Arts seem to emphasize more on techniques than strength. Sport Arts like in any sport, being athletic is a very important part of these Art forms. I'm not putting them down, I think these Art forms are great for competition, which I am a huge fan of. But if I am to study Martial Arts into my old age, I would prefer to study something that the core emphasis is on technique and not focus primarily on agility and strength. It seems that you are misinterpreting what I am saying, and you are agreeing with me to a certain extent. I say this because of the MA's you listed above. Judo though you have to admit a heavy person is going to be more effective than vice versa. Have you seen the effects that Muy Thai has on the joints and legs when these guys get old, or boxing? Look at Ali and other Boxers who got hit in the head too many times.

Have you seen the effects that Muy Thai has on the joints and legs when these guys get old, or boxing? Look at Ali and other Boxers who got hit in the head too many times.

Yes Thai fighters that fight full contact fights several times a week usually have problems...thats because they fight so much...the same would be true for any stlye. many fighters in thailand fight for a living.

Look at Ali and other Boxers who got hit in the head too many times.

anyone who gets hit int he head alot all their life will have problems...does not apply strickly to boxing.

Treebranch,

Where do you get the idea that weaker, slower people can beat stronger, faster opponents who are as skilled as they are ?

I think it must be an asian thing. There's this mythology that weak old men can defeat stronger, faster young men in their prime. Sorry, but this just doesn't happen. An old boxer is still going to be a formable opponent to the man on the street, but he's not going to be a match for a younger boxer in his prime. The same goes for "Combat" martial arts, and to believe otherwise is just wishful thinking.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt