• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Totally agrees with wcnavstar. Well said!.

I'll do it for love, not for the money or coz it looks fancy.

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wcnavstar, I can think of a lot of easier ways to make a buck than fighting in a cage. I love to fight. MMA is a way to do it safely, and legally.

Most of my MMA fights were amateur, and for no money at all. I have driven halfway across the country out of my own pockets, and came home with medals and trophies. Not much cash in MMA, i'm afraid.

Will I be competing at an old age? No. Will I be training? Yes. Is it an urge to prove myself? NO. It is a chance to IMprove myself.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

I don't think it makes your statement untrue, but I don't think you will be doing MMA when your an old man, do you?

sure you can - you merely change the way you train. You can't compete, but you can still train. you work your stand up and your ground work separately. you will not be able to be taken down due to fragility, but you can practice both elements separately, and you can still do your takedowns on the younger guys.

you can put judo into that same category, and my coach is 73... I can't do squat to him on the ground when he doesn't want me to. same goes for standing.

Sevenstar said, "you can put judo into that same category, and my coach is 73... I can't do squat to him on the ground when he doesn't want me to. same goes for standing."

So your 73 year old teacher is a MMA? That's impressive. The point I was trying to make is that there are MA's that don't rely so much on strength, and rely more on technique. To me that's more valuable, because we are all going to get old some day. I don't want to have to rely on my speed and strength to effectively defend myself when I get old.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Helio Gracie is 90 years old and still trains in BJJ and wrestles with younger students (I guess they're all going to be younger :) ) Edited by JohnnyS

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Sevenstar said, "you can put judo into that same category, and my coach is 73... I can't do squat to him on the ground when he doesn't want me to. same goes for standing."

So your 73 year old teacher is a MMA? That's impressive. The point I was trying to make is that there are MA's that don't rely so much on strength, and rely more on technique. To me that's more valuable, because we are all going to get old some day. I don't want to have to rely on my speed and strength to effectively defend myself when I get old.

The point I was trying to make is that there are MA's that don't rely so much on strength, and rely more on technique

you mean like one of they key elements of MMA.....BJJ :)

TJS is correct. Technique and leverage are more important in BJJ than strength and speed.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

TJS said, "you mean like one of they key elements of MMA.....BJJ"

Yeah Muy Thai doesn't take speed and strength, or Shoot Fighting or Wrestling. The only MA I agree that strength isn't the most important aspect in the techniques is probably BJJ, but indurance is still a big factor. Besides BJJ is not a MMA, it is it's own Style.

My point is that it will be highly unlikely that you'll be doing MIXED MARTIAL ARTS at an old age, and you will chose a MA that doesn't take a whole strength and indurance to be effective in. You don't want to risk injury at that age you know.

Sorry guys the fact is MOST, not all MA's age out.

TJS said, So since I wont be able to run when im old I should Start walking now?

No all I'm saying is that you can cover more distance walking, than you can by running. I'm trying to relate MA's to your analogy.