• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

JohnnyS if you look at what I said, we studied both. I currently don't study with Katas. There are some forms that we study, so that when we are not at the gym or the dojo I can do these forms in my living room or where ever. Doing things slow is also valuable.

To answer AndrewGreen's comment, what do you call the Olympics, how much more traditional can you get than that? Just because it's a sport motivated art, doesn't mean it's not traditional. Most Sport Arts were Traditional Combat Arts that were customized for Sport to keep them alive, because there really was no practical use for them, because of guns or sometimes the country was conquered by another and they were forbidden to practice deadly arts.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read on another post about Aikido, this guy said he studied MMA for many years and he got tired of the being injured all the time and he felt he was now ready to take on the challenge of learning to control an attacker, not just beat them up. Sounds like so called Traditional Styles are like going to school to get your PhD and Modern Styles is going to a trade school. I'm in for the long hall, I studied Lima Lama Kickboxing and Tae Kwon Do and now I study a "Traditional Style" Budo Taijutsu and I can say I'm learning more now, and I'm improving more now. So I guess now you heard it.

ok thats 1 example...I have heard countless stories of it being other way around...thats why I said it's "Rare".... 1 example hardly discounts my statment.

TJS I'm saying it too, so that makes 2. You should post a poll to see at least how many people agree or disagree with you on this forum.

It doesn't discount your statement, it just makes your statement a huge generalization based on a bias.

hmm... i think one reason you don't hear about folks coming from MMA to traditional as much is that *GENERALLY SPEAKING* the MMA proponents are going to be more outspoken about what they don't like. this comes from a difference in attitude, as well as expectations, in my experience. alot of MMA folks are there to "be the best fighter they can be" or "be effective" or "kick azz" or whatnot, whereas the traditionalists may be more geared towards an art that is more well-rounded (in this instance meaning having health benefits, and i don't just mean cardio or muscular), philosophy, medicinal, etc. IN ADDITION to the fighting skills. so you aren't gonna see as many traditionalists spouting off about how they hated MMA because they aren't really looking for "ultimate fighting" to begin with, and have a bigger picture in mind.

you also have to factor in the competition/ego thing. i may step on a few toes here, but just keep in mind this is my opinion. you will often see MMA folks throw tournaments, UFC/Pride style matches, etc. in fact, MMA was essentially vindicated through these type of events, because it's what was developed to help win them. many MMA types have the "prove it in the ring" attitude, and compete heavily against each other to see who's stuff is "best". many traditionalists, by contrast, don't really care. we aren't there to compete with each other, we're there to compete with ourselves. do we spar? sure. do we fight? sometimes. however, it's rarely for 'bragging rights' about who's style was superior, but much more commonly to test skills and improve our "game" as it were.

don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing MMA, and I know there are many practitioners out there who have the same goals of bettering themselves and learning viable skills as many of the so-called traditionalists... just as there are many egotistical "traditionalists" out there who are all about being "superior" to others.

i guess what i'm getting at here is that i think the MMA convert (was trad, switched to MMA) is going to be more vocal about how much they think the trad. stuff didn't work for them. the trad convert (was MMA, switched to trad) isn't gonna be as vocal about it, because the focus isn't on "what kicks the most arse" (as with MMA it often is) but rather on other things, and their trad. peers aren't really gonna be as concerned in general with how much they think MMA sucked or whatnot.

what do you guys think?

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

TJS I'm saying it too, so that makes 2. You should post a poll to see at least how many people agree or disagree with you on this forum.

It doesn't discount your statement, it just makes your statement a huge generalization based on a bias.

Ok thats 2 against the dozens i read about and hear from everyday...you got me now...do you really belive my statment is false? do you think there are more people switching from modern/mma stlye to traditional stlyes than the other way around?

I don't think it makes your statement untrue, but I don't think you will be doing MMA when your an old man, do you?

Paolung has a very good theory, very well thought out. I'd like to add an analogy. It's seems the jock mentality is at play here with a lot of Mixed Martial Artist. There is a difference between an Artist and a Craftsman, the Craftsman is more concerned with the how of the Art and the Artist is more concerned with the why of it.

I did. I found my school!. I did not know this when I started, but I know it now. This is my school.

http://www.thewingchunschool.com just check it out!.

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!

MMA is for those of us looking to make an easy buck for a short but well enjoyed ride, and traditional MA is for those who seek guidance and a life long practice.

I myself do both traditional and a bit of MMA so I can have my fun while I am still young. Yet I want the long term benefits that come with traditional and I am not talking striclty about the physical ones. I am talking about the mental and spirtual aspects which many but not all MMA lack.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching