• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just because a style "covers" all of those ranges does not make it effective at all of them. If it did you would not be thinking about taking BJJ to improve your groundfighting

intresting, so by your thinking a muay thai fighter who cross trained in boxing does it because his hands are not effective or because it would just make him that much better?

What I said is that NO single style is effective for every situation.

right, some stlyes just happen to cover alot more than others.

There are alot of styles that cover everything that you mentioned to some extent.

Yes, TKD is not one of them.

Again, I did NOT say all styles are equal. I said they are all DIFFERENT. And that it is up to the practitioner to make it effective by the way they train. Please learn to read.

So if stlye A beats Style B 9 times out of 10 it's "diffrent" right.

I said that every style Can be effective at helping you to defend yourself.

Then answer the question, if a TKD practicioner is tackled how will his training help him?

99% of schools of ALL styles are in it only for the money and do NOT teach anything effectively

Really, Try to find me a Muay Thai Mcdojo or a BJJ one...there may be some but they are few and far between unlike certain stlyes.

this is a requirement because they do not specialize in punching and kicking. And that their instructor program does not cover it enough to make someone effective at it?

No,not really.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then answer the question, if a TKD practicioner is tackled how will his training help him?

Id like to see some bar monkey to tackle my instructors! The process of going to that point would be something that already makes your point flawed. You are NOT going to just grab them, no you first need to catch that slippery rabbit. Of course, if they would have done bjj instead of TKD they would welcome the tackler with open arms, being good at the ground working. I take it we are not talking about two world champions from different styles starting to kill eachoter in the street?

It is the terms which you fight, the fights i have seen happen out with big space around, parking lots, streets etc., it usually starts out in the bar but the fighting is done outdoors. Bar fight is always dangerous, since you never know which of his friends is going to hit you with the chair when you turn around. There is ofcourse the people that want to keep the initiative and hit with the cover of suprize and leave the scene. For this you only need to train your right hand punch, but problems may rise when this initiative is taken from you.

When outdoors, (good) TKD practicioner would keep fight in his terms, keep the distance and kick the teeth out from the poor opponent 3 times in a second. This would not be easy in crowded space, but i cant see it being impossible either, often fighters get space around them rapidly. Im not talking about the olympic TKD stylists, which keeps hands down and only spin kicks, i figure they are very vulnearable even for poor skilled "street" opponents, but the people that practice TKD as an martial art and practice it hard. Such guy is capable of delivering good punches, blocking them, doing very rapid kick combos and just all kinds of stuff that makes it kinda hard to just going like "Hey, im now going to grab your nuts and poke my fingers in your eyes".

Such practicioners are rare, because they would be just as good "street fighters" with half amount of work, if theyd practice something more all-around "effective" style and people with such mentality often decide to do just that. It still doesent mean that half of their work is wasted or that they are inferior because they needed to train harder. I think its just the opposite, good TKD skills are both VERY flashy looking, but if needed deadly as hell. I dont think their first move would be 360 degree double spin kick, MA people mostly know what is effective and what should be left in the showouts, but there is also real use for even spin kicks!

Robert, where did you get your numbers from (99% of this, etc.)? I would be very interested to know what study(s) these numbers came from and what they are basing their claims on. Likewise with the "almost all" comment. What do you base this on?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Scandinavian,

Very good post :) I totally agree with you.

I practice TKD, ART not sport. We learn every aspect of the art. We do learn fancy kicks, yes, but we also learn self defense .... joint locks, "come-along techniques," wide range of hand techniques, take-downs, counter grappling, and yes, even grappling. We even learn take-downs and throws.

So to say that TKD is useless, is totally not true .... well except the sport TKD stuff. But then again, even the sport TKD people (if trained right) can kick some major butt in a street fight. Some of them that I have seen and fought, are so dang fast, I never seen them coming!

Laurie F