• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to recognize a McDojo?

Even if they only know a little but are willing to organize the group and handle the administrative tasks then they can't hurt anything by starting a class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made Renzo tap but I am not better then him. I am just saying that starting a Dojo without training is not the best thing to do. If you want to be a instructor for your friends or whatever that is cool but to make it a biusiness you should be ranked because without formal training it makes injury a more likeky thing. You also need insurance for a dojo and its hard to get if your service is something you have not been trained in.

1st degree blackbelt BJJ

under instructor Renzo Gracie

2x Detroit Golden Gloves Boxing Champ

• 2 weeks later...

Recognizing a McDojo- first they offer a black belt program right off the bat. ( a beginner has no idea if this is what they want or if it is a style taht fits them) Once you sign the contract , you're stuck.

Any instructor that can't touch his toes or throw above the waist kick should be suspect. If an instructor looks over weight and doesn't really participate in the class should be suspect.

An instructor that says"we don't do competitions cause they are worthless", should be suspect. Any club that uses a Camoflage belt as an actual rank should be suspect. If you are pressured into buying a uniform and sparring gear within two weeks of starting , I'd be suspicious.

If the instructor has all kinds of patches all over his uniform Master instructor, black belt team member, hash marks, should be suspect.

Just my input.

The most valuable things in life are not held in your hands, but , in your heart.

Recognizing a McDojo- first they offer a black belt program right off the bat. ( a beginner has no idea if this is what they want or if it is a style taht fits them) Once you sign the contract , you're stuck.

Ok

Any instructor that can't touch his toes or throw above the waist kick should be suspect. If an instructor looks over weight and doesn't really participate in the class should be suspect.

Sometimes. Can an out of shape person coach other sports? Look on the sidelines, do the coaches play? can they touch their toes?

An instructor that says"we don't do competitions cause they are worthless", should be suspect.

Point sparring is worthless and kata competition are worthless in my opinion.

Any club that uses a Camoflage belt as an actual rank should be suspect.

It's just a belt, they can use whatever colours they want, doesn't change a thing.

Although I find those work out black ones rather disguisting, I'd avoid any school where people wear them.

If you are pressured into buying a uniform and sparring gear within two weeks of starting , I'd be suspicious.

Umm... Why?

If you are doing excercises that you need that gear for, then you need that gear.

If the instructor has all kinds of patches all over his uniform Master instructor, black belt team member, hash marks, should be suspect.

Guess that rules out BJJ...

Again its a uniform, not really relevant to what he can /can't do.

Point is there are no rules on things to look for, everyone sees different things. It mostly depends on what there instructor has told them. If you come up in a white gi only environment that is what you will look for. If you come through a school without any uniforms you might say ANY uniform that is a bad thing, unless it is neccessary for the sport (Judo, BJJ, etc.)

Traditional martial artists tend to get set in their way fairly quickly and reject things outside of that. What do you want to get out of training, does the school provide it? That is all that matters.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

wanna know how to recognize a McDojo?

Well, if you ask your instructor something and every time he says: We'll talk about it next time.

Then you can be sure, his Dojo is a McDojo!

Really, trust me, I have experiences. ;)

Kill is love

Well, if you ask your instructor something and every time he says: We'll talk about it next time.

If he never does talk about it next time, then yes. If he does...well some topics deserve more than a 2 minute answer :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

If he never does talk about it next time, then yes. If he does...well some topics deserve more than a 2 minute answer :D

:D :D :D :D :D

Kill is love

Our school has a Black Belt Club, but we only offer it to students who want to make the commitment. Usually we wait about a year before they can join. We don't try and offer it to get contracts and make money. Our school is all about self-improvement. Our students (kids and adult) come for different reasons. Self Defense, Fitness, Confidence etc.
Agreed. Instructors should be able to lead by example.
Any club that uses a Camoflage belt as an actual rank should be suspect. If you are pressured into buying a uniform and sparring gear within two weeks of starting , I'd be suspicious.
Ha ha ha. I always wondered what that belt was for.

If the school is linked with an organization, for instance the International Kenpo Karate Association, then that is usually a good sign, and means the school is above average. But I would also research the association, if it doesn't have a website or isn't very reputable.. then it's a an McDojo with an McAssociation, lol.

Visite the school before you join or sign anything. Watch the studends especially! If they move good.. that means the teacher taught them to move good. How the students look is more important that how the teacher looks, because the students are the product.

And.. ofcourse.. you could always ask them :)

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill