• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to recognize a McDojo?

I'm hearing you lot talking about McDojo's all the time. And if I understand it right, it's a place where the colour of the belt is more important than anything else, and it's not very hard to get a black belt.

Apart from that, how can you tell what is a McDojo and what's not?

I kinda want to know, because I'm gonna start at a new place in July, and I want it to be top notch (gonna take up Krav Maga, grappling and Shootfighting)! Thanks :) :dodgy:

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously a curriculum that is geared toward children is a good indicator. Another kind of mcdojo is one where the instructor or senior students offer up criticisms of alot of different material even though they are un-qualified to perform such criticisms. Also alot of conflict with legitimate martial artists will indicate fraud. Real martial art masters such as John Kary, Chip Wright and Dan Inosanto tend to be well liked by everyone. People who constantly verbally run down these folks are just blowhards and should be black-listed.

One more important indicator is a constant assertion that MMA/NHB is not real fighting. It may not be but it's the closest legal contest to it. Excessive criticism of the Gracies and reminders of how our style is superior to theirs and is too deadly for the ring are things to watch out for. Any good combatives instructor might assert that our style relies on fouling so we don't compete. This is a legitimate, well thought out argument and shouldn't raise any flags.

• 3 weeks later...
good post bustr another big sign is that it trains many martial arts and the teachers can not show qualifaction. By the way the Gracies are great ppl

1st degree blackbelt BJJ

under instructor Renzo Gracie

2x Detroit Golden Gloves Boxing Champ

When I hear the word mcdojo I think of one particular TKD organization here in the Beaumont, Texas area. Basically they run night time daycares for spoiled children who's parents want to get rid of them for a few hours. Though they have produced a few good fighters their curriculum doesn't foster mental toughness.

I'd also watch out for instructors who like to hurt their students. Pain and injury in live practice are good but excessive stretching or beating someone (especially a child or beginner) while demonstrating techniques is unacceptable. Also beating someone who isn't performing well but is still trying is wrong. People who do this are insecure about their own abilities and need to dominate others to feed their own egos.

I really don't have a problem with the lack of a certificate or rank as long as they are up front about it. EX: If someone who was video or seminar trained wanted to start a grappling class because there were no schools in the area or no practical options for learning then they'd be doing a service.

If you want to start a school in a spacific art you should go to a certified instructor to get ranked (in BJJ it is a gracie or a machado)

1st degree blackbelt BJJ

good post bustr another big sign is that it trains many martial arts and the teachers can not show qualifaction. By the way the Gracies are great ppl

How about the other side, people who use someone elses name to boast themselves?

Paper trails are irrelevant if you can't perform on the mat.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

"If you want to start a school in a spacific art you should go to a certified instructor to get ranked (in BJJ it is a gracie or a machado)"

I agree. That is the ideal way to go. But if you live in a small town in the middle of nowhere or you haven't got the money or time to go to a certified school then I have no problem with someone opening a class as long as they are honest about their lack of credentials and don't charge the students too much. The instructor should also make it a point to get some professional training if it becomes available.

Edited by bustr

Yes but they should atleast be ranked as a belt or else it ends up making lagit ppl (such as myself) look bad. I don't like when ppl open dojos without formal training. What makes them better then there students?

1st degree blackbelt BJJ

Can they make the students tap? Can they teach the students to make others tap? If it is a competitive school how do they place? If they use the name Gracie Juijitsu then yes, they should be certified by a Gracie.

But if you are a better instructor then that is what counts, not who has the most certificates. If they are better and have none, they are still better.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!