• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some ideas

1) kick a soft bag that wraps around the shin when you kick - this will help deaden the shin

2) Rolling pin idea or a glass coke bottle

3) Hit it with bamboo - start soft and increase your tolerance

4) Have a pot of boiling water dip a cloth in it squeeze out the water let it cool a little and then rub up and down until the water cools repeat

5) My favourite everytime you get hit (esp if it hurts) say to your self that was nothing and smile. Smiling releases seratonin (cant spell it) which is a drug that helps to relieve the pain)

Regarding deadening the nerves - this is not the way the body works. The message is still sent to the brain that the shin is hurt but the brain is a bit more used to it so it "ignores" the messge.

Strive to be the best you can be

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whether people like to admit it or not, using a rolling pin (or anyother piece of wood - I use a tonfa) to strike the shins will cause your body to adapt. Simply laws of adaptation have proven that if you give the body a stimulus, it will adapt to that stimulus. Hence you build muscle by using it more than you would in everyday life. Striking the shins with a piece of wood will cause the bone to become harder as well as deaden the nerves. Only rolling the wood along the shin will mainly just deaden nerves. Whether anyone does this or not is their choice, but it is science fact that it works.

Good luck.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

• 4 weeks later...

"This is the method my traininer told me about, and its worked pretty good for me if I say so myself...

Goto your kitchen, go into your drawer and pull out your rolling pin, go back to the couch and sitdown watch TV...and roll it back and forth over your shin then when your about to say...in the words of popeye "I can't stands it no more"...do that for a long time and it toughes them pretty good and you don't need to kick, its a good way to impress your trainer when you show up with stronger shins".

and how exactly does that work? i never knew you roll a rolling pin over the shins to toughen them? if this really works, how does it work? i will not believes this until you tell me how it works? well if keep on rolling that rolling pin, i'd thought it would wore the skin out, which is worst.

The safest, least macho way is just practice hitting a thai bag with your shins. Increase force as you get used to it. IT worked for me. And in terms of experience, I have had 18 MT fights.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

Kick the heavy Bag, with High Repetition Set

And Train your Calfs a lot with a brick, it will make

the calves bigger, and when you strike a kick, the front muscle, just beside the chin will take the stress

Good luck.

Syo Muay Thaï Kickboxing School

Instructor and Owner.

(I'm a french boys, sorry for my english...

Give me the time i need, to Upgrade my language!!! Haha! )

High impact or high stress activities such as weightlifting or kicking the heavy bag, or various sports soccor/rugby etc. will cause your bones to become more dense (not necessarily hard), in the same way that other parts of your body adapt, such as your muscles.

After the age of around your early thirties though, your bones reach their maxium density and will only deteriorate after that.

Kicking the heavy bag also apparently deadens the nerves in your shin.

Also, apparently Thailand has the highest rate of shin cancer in the world!

• 4 weeks later...
If you kick with your shins enough, you'll deaden the nerves and consequently feel less pain. Is it good for you? No.

Why isn't it good 4 you when less pain is being accomidated.. doesn't it make your body stronger.. and able to take more hits?

A yellow belt who's words never hurt, yet skills send chills throughout the body.

Shotokan Student - 11 months training

• 2 weeks later...