• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My First Class

Kamidake

I learned a basic stance in which your feet are spread wide apart, with your foot nearest your opponent pointing directly at him, and you sink into a partial crouch, ideally with your thighs parallel to the ground or nearly so. In fact, the major thing I learned in that class is that if you spend much time in this position, your butt and the backs of your thighs will ache something fierce the next day.

Then I learned some punching, and, more importantly, some dodging, and then my teacher and I punched and dodged across the floor, alternating between puncher and punchee. All in all, it was fun, sore butt notwithstanding, and I'm looking forward to class 2 on Monday.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Good question. The school's called Jinenkan, and that may be what the technique is called too; there was a veritable blizzard of Japanese words and, since I was busy crouching and punching and blocking and dodging, I didn't get to write them all down. I'll ask him Monday.

Good Deal sounds like you had a good first class and the pain will pass but you never get used to it. LOL. Good Luck.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Thanks! If anybody else who is about to have their first class is reading this, DON'T FORGET TO TAKE YOUR WATCH OFF. I forgot, and scratched my teacher's arm while batting his punches aside. He was too polite to say anything, but I felt bad. :(

Watches, earrings, chains, etc... take them off!

Congratulations on day one. It never gets easier, but it does get less confusing. :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

OK, now I know. The style is (drum roll) Jissen Kobudo. Shrug. As long as it kills when necessary, it doesn't matter to me what they call it. :) I have now had my 2nd lesson, and it was fun too.