• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai orgainization affiliation?

I know that in Tae Kwan Do or pretty much any MA where you are going to be getting belt rankings, it is important that the instructor and/or the student belong to some official organization (so the belt can be certified). I also know that Mauy Thai has no belt system (other than the ones you earn in the ring). So would it be normal for a guy that I am thinking of taking lessons from to not belong to some official organization? He says he's been in it for 13 years and just doesn't feel that it is worth it to pay to be part of an official organization since he has retired from competing. What do you think?

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is what he implied when we were talking about the organization membership thing, "come watch me teach, do a free class or two if you want and if you think it looks good, then keep on comin". I went today and trained with him to check it out.

Speaking of McDojos: The only other place in town that teaches MT and BJJ also teaches Krav Maga and cardio kickboxing...they want $90 a month (per art studied) and you have to sign a year contract. They advertise all over town...big time McDojo, probably a very nice facility, and as commercially minded as they are, I am surprised they don't have several locations around town.

Well, this guy I went to train with today is pretty much the opposite of that...he rents a room above the raquetball courts of an old health club. He has a day job, so he doesn't need to do this to put food on his table...he only charges $50 per mos. and that gives me MT and BJJ as well as a little eskrima on Saturdays if everyone feels like doing that. He told me I don't even have to buy equipment if I don't want to, he has enough stuff that people without their own gloves, headgear, shin pads, etc. can use them the extra ones if we want...very cool (but he did say I would have to get my own cup and mouthpiece, no sharing those :o . It seems like a good place to train so far. My first day today was very tiring, a lot of focus pad and thai pad work, I think I am going to like this a lot.

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

That is what he implied when we were talking about the organization membership thing, "come watch me teach, do a free class or two if you want and if you think it looks good, then keep on comin". I went today and trained with him to check it out.

Speaking of McDojos: The only other place in town that teaches MT and BJJ also teaches Krav Maga and cardio kickboxing...they want $90 a month (per art studied) and you have to sign a year contract. They advertise all over town...big time McDojo, probably a very nice facility, and as commercially minded as they are, I am surprised they don't have several locations around town.

Well, this guy I went to train with today is pretty much the opposite of that...he rents a room above the raquetball courts of an old health club. He has a day job, so he doesn't need to do this to put food on his table...he only charges $50 per mos. and that gives me MT and BJJ as well as a little eskrima on Saturdays if everyone feels like doing that. He told me I don't even have to buy equipment if I don't want to, he has enough stuff that people without their own gloves, headgear, shin pads, etc. can use the extra ones if we want...very cool (but he did say I would have to get my own cup and mouthpiece, no sharing those :o ). It seems like a good place to train so far. My first day today was very tiring, a lot of focus pad and thai pad work, I think I am going to like this a lot.

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n