• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leaving a Dojo

If you ever do decide to leave then tell them the truth without being cruel and they may ultimately benefit from the honest info.

Wondering what made you reconsider and go back. Are you studying Wing Chun now and what family is it? As you may know from the other thread I am also interested in doing both Aikido and Wing Chun. I have about 5 years of Wing Chun and I think Aikido would be a great addition to it. I think Wing Chun could nicely handle the interception part of an encounter and the Aikido could be used as a less bloody follow-up if needed. I think I would prefer a real Daito Ryu school but I don't think there is any around.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace dear teacher, dear friend, dear brother, and dear father: Moy Yat Sifu

[ This Message was edited by: Shaolin on 2002-03-07 03:32 ]

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace: Moy Yat Sifu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left because I felt that the particular style of aikido, which was Tomiki or sport aikido, had no use as self defense, which is what I wanted to study and I disliked the over competitive mind-set. So I switched to Foshan wing chun (what Yip Man taught before going to Hong Kong), as wing chun was the only style in my area that seemed to fit my needs, and the only wing chun club was this family. However I feel that it was not taught particularlly well, because the only way for me to progress onto more advanced wing chun from the basic punches, kicks and parries was to pay £45 to show them I know straight punches, the basic stance and two parries. This I was unprepared to do. Both my clubs train on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so in the end I decided to train with each once a week, and see in a few months which has more pros or cons.

Talking about aikido and wing chun in general, I feel that they match well, allowing reasonable combat efficiency and the ability to control an opponent without chain-punching them to death.

• 5 months later...
I have been at this dojo for a year and a half and I don't know how to leave without injuring anyone's feelings

After a year and a half ... no problems ... there won't be that many broken hearts :D

If you'd have stayed there for 9 years ... it would be a different story :)

Anyway ... good luck in the new style

• 1 year later...

In traditional Tae Kwon Do, up til BB you can leave any time you want to-no explanation necessary. You might have a harder time in schools that use contracts. We don't. Up through color belt, you are always free to leave. Although if you have a serious problem with the way the class is taught you might want to tell the Instructor WHY you are leaving. But be civilized and courteous.

However, there is a difference between the way a class is taught and the way a style is taught. Tomiki aikido is more competition oriented. You might have wanted to research it before joining to get an idea of what you were getting into. The Instructor shouldn't be expected to apologize for the way a style is taught. If he were a jerk that would be different.

On the other hand, once you attain Dan level, in many organizations you will always be a member of that club, even if you never practice again, as long as you don't have differences with the Instructor. However, if you attain Dan level and quit a club because of differences with the Instructor or because you want to try something else without permission, you run the risk of being cut. In which case you still have your Dan rank but are not allowed back and will not receive a recommendation to test. Something to think about.

We also were told you may only practice a different style after 4th Dan. Before that, stay with one.

My opinion-Welcome to it.