• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leaving a Dojo

I am thinking of leaving my aikido dojo to persue wing chun more fully. I have been at this dojo for a year and a half and I don't know how to leave without injuring anyone's feelings. Has anyone else had trouble with leaving their dojos? How do you tell your teacher that their art/style isn't good enough for you? :bawling: :???:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wouldn't come out and say that the style isn't good enough. :smile:

How about saying something like:

"It is time for me to move on to something else, I want to experience different arts and see what I like and what I don't." Be nice. :smile:

Just tell him that you want to quit. If he asks for a reason, just tell him you want to explore something else. If he gets pissy, walk away.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Definitely be honest with your instructor about your leaving. The school couldn't have been all that bad since you have been training there for over a year. It is far better to explain why you are leaving than for someone from within the school maybe seeing you enter or leave from another dojo and telling the instructor of the old school.

You never know....you may want to eventually come back to your Aikido dojo in the future. This has happened with students at the school that I attend.

If you are changing styles I'm sure that the instructor will more than understand. If you go to another school teaching the same style you may have a little more explaining to do.

Deby

1st Deg. TaeKwonDo Black Belt/Fitness Kickboxing

(Moderator of Health & Fitness Forum)

"A woman does not practice martial arts so that she can fight like a man. She does so in order to

be free to be a woman."

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-09-10 13:42 ]

i agree with KICKCHICK....you never want to burn any bridges you may have to cross to get back..........of course; unless an army is after you.......... :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

be respectful to your sensei even though you want to leave

martial arts is supposed to make you happy and if you are not happy with aikido then you gotta find something else in your case it would be wing chun..............

if i were leaving my dojo which i would never do id say

"sensei you are a great instructor but i want to look for something new out there so feel that it is in my best interest to search for soemthing new"

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

Tonight i have ceased all connections with the Goju Ryu form of karate. It is defintelty NOT what i am looking for, i am not telling them what i am doing, and i really don't care what they think. I'm moving on to Muay Thai now cos i think it is more what i would want. I'm not gonna tell them that i have done anything before, cos i wanna see how they treat beginners.

Goju, or karate in general just had too much kata and not enough contact for me to handle. So soon i will be doing Muay Thai - yeeeehaaaaw!

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.