• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is karate for me?

aznkarateboi

I want a martial art that is:

Relatively good for health.

Fun.

Relatively good for Self Defense.

Effectived in street situations (similar to above)

Somewhat pleasant to watch, but not too flashy.

I was considering Karate, but if there are any other recommendations, then feel free to suggest.

I am currently taking TKD, but it doesn't give what I am looking for. Does Karate make a good compliment to TKD?(no I'm not about to quit TKD, I've worked hard enough on it and it's not THAT bad)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
karate is an excellent style and has all your looking for. as far as quiting tae-kwon-do? if i was you, i would. but thats just me. shack your groove thing!

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Karate fits well with any style because of its balance. Before changing styles I would advise you to stick with TKD until you made your black blet that way you have some closure and will be educated enough to know the differance in the 2 arts.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

what is it about TKD that makes you feel it does not provide these qualities you seek? not a flame, just wondering what you want that is "different" than what you are currently studying.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Self defense, of course!!!! Isn't that what TKD lacks? When I spar, I want the feeling that it might actually help me!! That I might actually fight in the real world remotely like that!

Self defense, of course!!!! Isn't that what TKD lacks? When I spar, I want the feeling that it might actually help me!! That I might actually fight in the real world remotely like that!

that might not change if you started karate..I would suggest Looking into Kyokshuin karate or One of it's offshoots.

i hate to sound biased reguarding that last post. i mean those are great styles, but why not isshinryu? we have great histories of success in both competeion and self deffense.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

i hate to sound biased reguarding that last post. i mean those are great styles, but why not isshinryu? we have great histories of success in both competeion and self deffense.

Basically Because Kyokushin Has been the Only stlye of Karate to compete succesfully against Fighters from Thailand and other top fighters around the world..look at K-1..nearly every karate fighter in there has a Kyokushin background.

If it's full contact then it's fine by me.

I want a martial art that is:

Relatively good for health.

That covers most of them.

Fun.

Hmmm. Depends on your definition of 'fun'. For me it would mostly depend a lot on the other people there. The very aggressive, serious classes wouldn't be so much fun either; and the teaching would have to be pretty varied in order to be consitantly interesting.

Relatively good for Self Defense.

Just to generalise, I'd go with something that doesn't rely heavily on forms and rote training.

Effectived in street situations (similar to above)

See above. You need to remain flexible in your responses.

Somewhat pleasant to watch, but not too flashy.

Pretty subjective.

I was considering Karate, but if there are any other recommendations, then feel free to suggest.

I recommend (especially with your complemetary style comment), that you should choose something that has more emphasis on infighting, throws, groundfighting, or the like. Thus, I loosely suggest BJJ, JKD, Mantis Style (or other Shaolin styles), Hapkido.

I recommend (especially with your complemetary style comment), that you should choose something that has more emphasis on infighting, throws, groundfighting, or the like. Thus, I loosely suggest BJJ, JKD, Mantis Style (or other Shaolin styles), Hapkido.

Excellent advice. I'd add Kenpo, especially American Kenpo, to that list. Phillipino martial arts are also an excellent addition to TKD. Depends of course on what is available in your area. Those are all good styles.

Freedom isn't free!