• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Differentiating between Chinese styles.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taiji Chang (lit. Grand nexus boxing) - One of the three primary Neijia (internal arts) of China. A fighting art with a heavy use of the open hand and upright grappling.

Qigong (lit. breath work) - Any exercise focused around the building, packing, or storing of Qi.

Xingyi - A second of the three Neijia. A fighting art with a heavy emphasis on liniar power.

Bagua Chang (lit. 8 trigrams boxing) - The third of the Neija, known primarily for it's use of circles... an excellent multiple-attacker art as well.

asking someone to explain to you the "basic principles" of taiji, bagua and xingyi is somewhat akin to me asking Stephen Hawking to explain the basic principles of quantum theory and time travel... but for some reference, I will suggest to you that you check out Mike Patterson's website https://www.hsing-i.com - he has some simplified explanations of all three arts... although i don't necessarily agree with his distinction of so-called internal/external myself.

as Jerry stated, chi kung/qigong is literally translated as "breath work"... technically any exercise aimed at focusing or training the breath could be considered chi gung, although usually folks are referring to specific sets of exercises designed to harness/focus/build/channel qi/ki.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

• 1 month later...