• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's consider4ed self defense?

self defense is simply defended yourself against someone intentionally trying to hurt you. they say that if they attack you first then you block and counter its self defense, but I think if you know they are intentionally attacking you then you can attack them before they even attack then Iconsider that is self defense too!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the heels come in handy! Once you've managed to knock down your agressor, simply step on them in strategic areas :P

I have a pair of 3-inch heels (not the super-poky kind, but they're still heels) that I know I could run in. Most of the time, it's not the heels that are the problem when it comes to maneuverability. Some women spend so much time in heels that they're very used to them...sneakers would probably feel awkward. So shoes aren't always the problem. It's those #*&$*@-ing SKIRTS!!! :kaioken: ..... :lol:

Plus, heels make for a very powerful sidekick, if you can manage it.

Personally, I prefer good ol' sneakers. :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I perfer sneakers, too. In the summer, I wear those flip flop things with the thick souls. They make for a good weapon, too. Kick them puppies off and have it hit them where it hurts or in the face ....... :o Or I can whack them in the head with one LOL.

Laurie F

My sensei always says the best self defense is to not be in a situation where you need to defend yourself. And #2 is to be wearing running shoes. So if you get attacked in a dark alley wearing spike heels, no matter what happens next you've already screwed up miserably.

I see your point. But I'd phrase it a little differently. Selecting proper clothes before you go and situational awareness are excellent proactive things to do. But you can't allways avoid the attack, and looking at it as a screwup is a negative mindset. Think positive, aggressive, and counter attack with intent! He screwed up attacking you, because now he's going to get hurt, humiliated, and humbled! Rabbits have a running mindset. They also tend to freeze.

Freedom isn't free!

I should note, the part about having screwed up miserably is my words, my sensei never said that :)

I agree with what a few people have said about not waiting for an attack. We always say "in karate there is no first strike," but I've been taught that the "first strike" thing should not be taken literally. If a guy is up in your face, invading your personal space, ignoring you asking him to back off and his intent to harm you is clear...well, NO, you should not wait for him to hit or grab you, at this point you should be consider yourself under attack and do whatever you need to do to get out of danger.

i agree that if someone was invading your personal space you should take the first shot but id start to walk away first. id try to avoid it unless i was sure they wanted to do something to me.

Self defence, as I have always understood it, is the avoidance of fighting situations. Violence should always be a last resort (too bad our government doesn't think so, but that's another story :roll: ) . Crossing the street when a dodgy looking character approaches is an excellent example, but merely crossing the street, without maintaining awareness, is counterproductive.

In yet another Baltimore story (and I lived in a "good" neighborhood!) I was returning from work and walking from the bus stop to my building, when I saw a chap waving a baseball bat and singing drunkenly. I crossed the street, and accelerated my walking speed. Drunky-poo crossed as well,and began shouting curses, then charged. I turned into the attack and did something, I have no idea what. Drunky-poo ended up on the sidewalk with a broken knee and wrist. I called 911 like a good citizen, filled out a statement, and, suprisingly, my statement was supported by someone in a nearby house who saw what had happened. It would have been nice of her to call the police, but I guess that would have been expecting too much, eh? The moral of this story (ohter than don't live in Baltimore) is that I maintained awareness. Crossing the street bought me time to plan.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!