What's consider4ed self defense?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if someone attacks me, and i counter, its self defence.

if i attack without the other guy attacking me first im just fighting. pre-emptive strikes are risky

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.

if someone attacks me, and i counter, its self defence.

if i attack without the other guy attacking me first im just fighting. pre-emptive strikes are risky

I think it would depend on how the pre-emptive strike was done and what the person was doing to you .

BEWARE! Do not be a defensive fighter in a street fight

A defensive fighter is one who permits his adversary to seize and maintain offensive control in a fight. Beware! This defensive mindset can get you killed in street combat. Simply put, allowing your antagonist the opportunity to deliver the first strike is tactical suicide. It is like allowing a gunslinger to draw his pistol first. Never forget that in unarmed combat, if you permit the adversary to strike first, he might injure or possibly kill you, and he will most certainly force you into an irreversible defensive flow that can preclude you from issuing an effective counter attack.

Employing the first strike principle requires an offensive mentality that compels you to act rather than react. You must be aggressive and take affirmative and absolute control of the situation by making all the decisions and acting immediately without apprehension or trepidation.

Unfortunately, some martial art instructors teach their students to wait for their opponent to make the first move. This can be a BIG MISTAKE! In the mean streets of America, this reactive type of approach will get you a one way trip to the city morgue.

There are also self-defense practitioners who are simply too timid to take the initiative and attack first. Many will not strike first because they simply do not know how to successfully execute a preemptive strike. While others are uncertain about the legal requirements and justifications. As a result, they second guess their instincts, hesitate, and end up kissing the pavement. Therefore, it is imperative that you have a basic understanding of the legal requirements of launching a preemptive strike in a self-defense situation.

From RealFighting.com

The article goes on to expain "justfied" pre-emptive strikes. I don't necessarily agree with all they wrote, but certainly won't discount certain pre-emptive strikes, or the highest level of fighting...avoidance. :)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

My sensei always says the best self defense is to not be in a situation where you need to defend yourself. And #2 is to be wearing running shoes. So if you get attacked in a dark alley wearing spike heels, no matter what happens next you've already screwed up miserably.

Good post, chh. Yes I agree here. "avoiding" a bad area in the first place is your best defense. Never walk alone at night, and cross the street if you see an evil looking guy on your side, ect. My instructor says if we do have to end up fighting (defending) ourselves, do it quickly and get out.

If you mean learning self defense stuff in class, that's basically the same thing. We do joint locks throws, counter attacks against all sorts of different attacks, ect. But the main thing is how to avoid the situation in the first place. Learning this other stuff is just icing on the cake :)

Laurie F