• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Exotic Weapons

Shogun

i cant help but frown upon the little toothpicks that are populating tournaments now. i know that they are supposed to be flashy and quick, but come on! the things are so light i feel like im holding a hollow piece of alluminum...oh wait..I AM HOLDING A HOLLOW PIECE OF ALUMINUM. i think that they have taken the weapons way to far from their origins.

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, since I have been training for years now I have had the oppurtunity to learn an array of weapons like :

Sword (Korean Gumdo)

Double sword

broadsword

straight sword

double short swords

double fans

cane

belt

throwing knives

bow and arrow

sais

kamas

nunchucks

kwan dao

flail (Bo staff with a small cahin attached to a 1 foot stick)

knife

monk spade

bo staff

blow gun

short stick

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

Perhaps. Now if I can just figure out a way to make them look more masculine. :roll:

:lol:

Although they may seem "girly", fans (or "tessen" as they are often called) were used by the ancient Samurai, considered to be a more sophisticated weapon, and a valued part of the samurai's arsenal. Check out this link:

http://www.e-budokai.com/hibuki/tessen.htm

Is that masculine enough for you? ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Yeah, I know about those. But the ones we practice with are a lot more frilly. :(

Plus, I'll have to move back down south if I'm to be holding a fan and not look "funny". :lol:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that." (Seinfeld)

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Then cut the lace frills off :lol:

The fans that I have are the metal-ribbed ones from AWMA. Black ones with dragon design. Fairly elaborate and pretty nice-looking. There's also the ones that say "Ninja" on them, but I thought that was kinda corny. :roll:

Here's a hint for everyone: If you buy the fans from AWMA and they come in those fabric cases....don't put the fans back in!! The cases are waayyyy too small for the fans and next to impossible to take on and off. :kaioken:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Shogun- I love the kwan Dao the best because of its weight and its is helping fixing muscle in my shoulder form a hapkido accident , but I have found from tlaking to Korean masters that since Korea and China share a border alot of the kung fu wepons fall over into Korean martial arts and it has been great learning them. I have a friend in Shaolin Kung Fu and we spar alot with the weapons and the more i do that the more quick I become with the larger weapons.

Monkeygirl- Here is a fun fact that i came across when researching martial art wepaons in my college paper and that the korean fans had 6 inch blades stemming off of the fan to cut the attcker and also they would have darts in them as well that could peirce samurai armor when opened.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

Monkeygirl- Here is a fun fact that i came across when researching martial art wepaons in my college paper and that the korean fans had 6 inch blades stemming off of the fan to cut the attcker and also they would have darts in them as well that could peirce samurai armor when opened.

There we go! Now that's a masculine fan! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
I seen someone do a demo using the brim of his ball cap. He used it to hit under the nose and to the eyes. It sounds silly and looked even funnier.