• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a martial art that fits me.

OK, I've been doing American Kenpo for over 2 years now, and I've concluded that it really isn't for me. I just don't like how it stresses groin kicks, eye gouging, and neck turning as self-defense techniques. The reason I started martial arts was for just that, a martial ART. I am not paranoid about being mugged and raped around every corner, I simply want a graceful and defensive art that stresses concentration, balance, and fitness. I've looked into Aikido, it seems very much like what I'm looking for, any suggestions from experienced ?

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
At the college I will be attending in the fall, there is a place called "Shuyokan Martial Arts Center" that teaches Yoshinkai Aikido and Goshin Jutsu. That is another of the reasons that I am looking into Aikido as a possibility.

If you're looking for self defense, I've heard that Aikido will take long time to master. However, Aikido is a fine martialART :)

Try out a class and see if you like it!

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

If you are willing to invest the time, you will get alot out of Aikido. I don't know that much about the Yoshinkai style of Aikido. For the most part the styles are fairly similar. Goshin Jutsu means the art of self defense. Aikido seems to have all the things you are looking for. When done proficiently it is quite graceful and can be beautiful. It almost looks like a dance, a very painful dance.

while aikido is certainly one of the most aesthetically pleasing and visually beautiful of the martial "arts", it has also historically one of the longest learning curves and has a reputation for being notoriously difficult to find a good teacher who can really teach you how to use your art in the street or for combat. i find that too many aikido folks are infected with what i like to call the "tie chee hippy syndrome", i.e. "aikido isn't for fighting man, it's for peace..." you get the idea. perhaps at the higher levels, that takes on a new meaning, but realize that o-sensei ueshiba was no joke... and that when people took him on, they were fully aware that he could kill them. that doesn't come from being a complete pacifist :) in fact, his traning was brutal in his early days. read some of what steven seagal sensei says about aikido (http://www.uis.ch/redman/), that will give you a good mindset to go on in my opinion. that being said, if you dont' mind putting in alot of time and effort, and really working at it, it may bring you what you wish in an 'art' that stresses concentration, balance, and so on...

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Can anyone differentiate the following styles of MA for me? They are all taught at the Shuyokan Martial Arts Center.

-Shuyokan Ryu

-Yoshinkai Aikido

-Goshin Jutsu

-Taiho Jutsu

The chief instructor is Judan (10th dan) of Shuyokan Ryu. I've emailed him and he responded quickly and thoroughly, which impressed me. But anyways, can someone differentiate these styles for me?

Thanks in advance.

Yoshinkan/Yoshinkai is the most "street-practical" method of teaching Aikido,and is taught to riot police recruits in Japan. Did Yoshinkan for ten years until my knees finally gave out too much for all the bunny hops and squats. Try it.See if you like it. :)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

OK, I've been doing American Kenpo for over 2 years now, and I've concluded that it really isn't for me. I just don't like how it stresses groin kicks, eye gouging, and neck turning as self-defense techniques.

AK isn't for everyone, that's true. I ballance the bone, organ and tissue destructiveness of AK with Tai Chi Chuan fa. TCC stresses yielding and, while it can do great harm, stresses doing nothing unless absolutely necessary.

If you are looking more for the 'art' than the 'martial', I'd highly recomend you look at the Chinese Martial Arts in your area. Highly effective, they tend to be graceful and flowing. And I'd put any of the TCC styles at the top of the list.

Oh, and just for the record (since others will read this thread), AK teaches you how to destroy an opponent. That's true enough. But it doesn't teach that you have to. You always have the option to just brutalize him a bit! (Just kidding :D )

Freedom isn't free!