• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use the metric system, but i believe im around your size byrd, im 140lbs and about 5,9ft,

theres absolutely no reason why you shouldn't begin to study martial arts and the reason why someone has suggested those arts is because one at least doesn't need strength to work, (not insulting judo, just i don't know much about it)

i study bjj and i have defeated much larger opponents in real conflicts, bjj will teach you how to control and disable your opponent.

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

TKD!!! Light people can jump very high and you would be able to execute the amazing kick in TKD. Light people can use their weight to their advantage always. :karate:

Yes. However, keep in mind that for TKD to work at its prime the light person must have some long-limber limbs. One thing I've noticed in my many sparring bouts is that the natural reaction for semi-well trained tall people is to either whip their heel into their opponent's mouth from afar off, or to aggressively skip into some sort of wild punch down at their shorter partner's head. This causes the shorter semi-well trained guy to say:

"GRRRR@! Can I just tackle you now :kaioken: %&*$%!"

I've never been in a street fight, but the hard truth is that concrete is friggen solid (more than training mats), and I only want my opponent to feel any solidity- my boots. However, I must admit that I feel somewhat incomplete without a further knowledge of grappling.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

if you were to study bjj or judo, he would most likely have no clue what your doin and you'll be able to submit him with ease and perhaps put him to sleep and leave him for ridicule , with make-up on

oh im a sick Basta**d

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

Simple answer: BJJ. Lot's of people seem to think it doesn't have a street fighting aspect, but it does. There are many things taught in the Gracie system that are meant for stand up street defense. Aside from that, I am a small guy as well. I stand at 5 foot 9 and weight about 150 lbs. Im 26 so I don't think I will get to much bigger in my life. (Maybe around 160-165 by the time I am in my 30's) But my point is I have faced people much larger then myself in real life and on the mat. On the street, I have walked away with a bloody lip while leaving people in far worse shape. (Yes, real experiences. When you are this small you become a target.) On the mat I have faced people up 250 lbs and have won. I just believe in it. It has worked for me, and is proven itself on the streets. It has proven itself as well in the "fight world" but ultimately, shop around and see what you are comfortable with. Sometimes martial arts are just good for health and discipline. Lets hope you never have to use it, lets hope in fact none of us do. But, the world isn't always a nice place so be able to defend yourself.

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

• 3 weeks later...

Mr heel hook.

BJJ on its own will not suffice for the street. I've trained in a few different things and BJJ alone woudln't see me through (I have done it).

There are situations where a well trained well timed fast and powerful punch will be the most useful thing in the world.

Disagree? I dislike telling personal stories but a few examples spring to mind if you want an example.

pete,

The superior man is modest in his speech, but excels in his actions.

Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Crosstraining in bjj/silat/muaythai/jkd/JJJ/kickboxing

Oh, you must be talking about the golden punch. Ya know, the lucky punch that ends all fights cause you just happen to get a "good" one in. Sure, I guess what you are saying can apply to anyone though...

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

Strength does matter,size doesnt. Yet,quickness can make up for strength.I have allways tried to stay decently strong(250 lb bench press) but stay as quick as i could possibly get. strength can matter in grappling as far as getting keylocks and shoulder locks etc......... But i seem to remember a guy named Gracie who had superb technique,which made up for strength. Just try to stay in good shape and you will be fine.