• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

small guy vs big guy?

Im rather a small guy ,light built - 165cm 70kg

I need something for street survival - some strategy with the assumption that my enemy will be always higher,stronger,bigger and much heavier :/ is there any technic for light built people for self-defending ?

some people say i should try BJJ and Judo

what u think? is there any even sense to start training with such body conditions?

please give some advice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome BYRD12345 to this forum........of course i'm going to say that with enough practice and dedication any thing is possible............look at the one who started it all, BRUCE LEE.......little guy that was the big man when it came to the martial arts........... :wave:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

Dude, train in grappling and Muay Thai. You'll be hard to deal with by anyone, big or small. For a bigger man, it's not so much the art, it's your strategy that will prevail. I like to cut kick low against taller people. Use your height to your advantage and go after the lower targets that are harder for the taller man to defend. Speed and accuracy are ok, but against a bigger man, a person really needs power to do damage. You can shoot pellets at a tank all day and it won't do anything, but missles will tear a tank apart. I think speed and accuracy are better against smaller and quicker opponents that are hard to hit, a person doesn't need much power to put a smaller guy down.

Always train yourself and assume in your training that your enemy will be taller, stronger, heavier and quicker.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

i know what you mean. being short we have it hard, every one thinks they can beat you down (no pun intended). but let them think that, when they attack you, surprise them. hop out of the way and kick them int he back of the knees, bring them down to your level.

take downs are so useful i even start to explain them all. if you wanna know some email me

shortdog@gtemail.net

also control holds! he tries to punch you, and you grab his arm and twist it. he will leave you alon from then on.

SHORTDOG

In the road of life there are many paths. If you don't know where you are going, any one will take you there.

join me in my quest to aquire knowledge of all martial arts of the world at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worldofmartialarts

or email

On 2001-09-10 11:23, thaiboxerken wrote:

Speed and accuracy are ok, but against a bigger man, a person really needs power to do damage.

Good point, but what I meant by accuracy is being able to hit vunerable areas - the throat, groin, eyes, solar plexus (thus causing great damage without power). In a slugging match, a little guy won't win against a giant. But that's just my opinion, not a right or wrong answer.

4th Kyu Tomiki Aikido

"What is defeat? Nothing but education, nothing but the first step to something better."

Bruce Lee

[ This Message was edited by: Aikidoka on 2001-09-11 09:10 ]

Let's take into consideration here the man vs. woman. We as women have had to deal with the physical disadvantage that we have from our male counterparts in the Martial Arts.

My greatest obstacle has been the bad habits I've developed along the way, not my female

body. Few of the martial arts do not rely on brute force, but on scientific principles of motion. Balance, agility, speed, etc. CAN increase power and competence (for men as well as women). This is not an example of going beyond compensating for physical disadvantage by skill. This IS compensating for physical disadvantage by skill. Skill is what enables us to turn any trait into an advantage. Skill is an action or activity that has been developed through study, training and conditioning. But you need to be careful in looking at any trait as an "advantage," it is easy and dangerous to develop a false sense of security. Like male muscular strength, it is only an advantage when the opponent lacks the trait or has not yet turned it into a skill. Rather than feel empowered by the so called advantages of the "small female body" traits (balance,agility, etc.), train those traits,study them,understand them and perfect them. And then feel empowered by your training and where it has taken you!

:karate: :pony: :nod:

Deby

One of our lady-martial artists (Thaiboxer) was attacked in a parking lot. This big guy pushed her and called her "bitch". Well right after she was push, she threw a Thai-style round kick low and the guy went down. He couldn't get back up because his ACL on that leg was ripped to shreds. This lady is a tiny lady and we are proud that she defended herself against a big threat.

Her strategy against a big guy worked great. Power, low-line cut kick and accuracy. The biggest trees will fall when chopped down low.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Kick them in the testicles... a nice, straight, fast rising kick with the shin. Smack some dude in the cods and he's just not gonna get back up. It's a good strategy and it's why there are so many big guys singing soprano these days.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

:lol: Angus...you're too much!

Well, IMO that is every womans point of focus in an attack situation. I do believe that maybe the attacker may expect this line of defense from a woman. I do like (Thaiboxer's) defensive kick...low and to the knees ...awesome...making superb use of one of our many advantages (lower body strength).

I have never found myself (& hopefully will never have to) in a situation where I would need to defend myself....but, I do feel empowered by my training which I do believe enables me to carry myself in a self confident manner in times of questionable safety...and would honestly have to rely on my first instincts when the situation does arise.

Deby