• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would be a good song for a created kata?

If I want to to a musical kata, what song would you all suggest?

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the song really all depends on the kata. If you're going to tailor a kata TO a song, then that's a little easier.

Finding a song that fits an exisiting kata can be pretty hard. If you can do it, though, it's really cool...getting the moves to fit the rhythm, having moves that seem to fit the mood of the song..very interesting.

Our demo team does a lot of musical katas, and we use a lot of songs from the Mortal Kombat soundtrack. They work pretty well.

When it comes to choosing a song, you want something that is very fast-paced and upbeat very early on in the song. Most advanced katas are only about 1.5 to 2 minutes long, maybe even shorter. Having a song start off slow and then pick up is cool, but it has to pick up very soon, otherwise its just boring.

Listen to some hard rock like Godsmack, Guns n' Roses, Metallica, "Punk Pop" like Green Day, Blink 182 (for a more lighthearted feel). Listen to techno (stay away from Dirty Vegas unless you want to put your audience to sleep). I always thought that "Get up, get up put your body in motion" song would be really cool. I can never remember the names of those blasted dance songs :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Anything except for the damn Mortal Kombat soundtrack :)

:lol: Guess I spoke too soon. The songs can be a bit corny and annoying, but it's a quick and easy source of songs.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

What monkeygirl said.... And just listen to different stuff. Stay away from country( in all my school bus riding days 9 years of everyday country) i havent one song that woul work for a kata. Somtimes with rap you have to be carful of the lyrics.. well with everyhting you do. So if it is something like Wipeoout it is a lot easier only one or two words in the whole thing no swearing.

If you have a favorite song sometime you could make a kata up to fit that song. it works well if you really enjoy the song and your MA.

Haha, yea, im staying away from the country even though I do live in oklahoma. Im not a big rap person. And most of my favorite songs are like 3-5 minutes long. so I was thinking maybe something from tool, or godsmack or something. Thanks for the tips. :D

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

i would definetly recomend soundtrack from action movies and such. one of my favorites for creating fight sets and katas is the matrix soundtrack. also, older soungs work well because of the general lack of cursing and unacceptable subjects, ect...

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.