• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

okay, this is humiliating

fireka

Mine is embroidered. My school's name isn't on it, though. Name on one side, karate, kobudo on the other. I know what my name looks like in Japanese, so I have an advantage - a japanese man wrote my first name on my gi during a seminar once :D Well...wouldn't all the black belts in your dojo have the same kanji on the one side?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is embroidered. My school's name isn't on it, though. Name on one side, karate, kobudo on the other. I know what my name looks like in Japanese, so I have an advantage - a japanese man wrote my first name on my gi during a seminar once icon_biggrin.gif Well...wouldn't all the black belts in your dojo have the same kanji on the one side?

Hmmm...makes me glad I read Japanese. :)

I was actually given pushups as a brown belt at my first Dojo for allowing a new white belt to enter the practice area and walk past me without correcting his belt. Kurobane Sensei walked over, retied the students belt, tehn called me aside, explained the "sempai-kohai relationship" and gave me twenty pushups. It was a lesson I did not forget.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

hey! hobbitbob, i meant no offense you know what im sayin'? (sorry, just got through watching rocky, finding it hard to loose the accent) If it wasnt for you and SMR and Saifights, and now karate_woman, id be completely lost, ya know? I go to the dojo in like 2 hours, so im gonna strech and stuff. Hey karate_woman, that response saifights gave was really good. if i was the student thats how id want you to do it.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

My advice would be to get someone to help you do it the first time. Then remember the exact movements, lol that's I learned how to tie my shoes so it should work on this.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly i think if ne1 laughs at you should be hit. My brother is slightly dislexic.

I cant really help you on tieing the belt becasue its pretty tough saying each step.

Sorry i cant help you.

By the way dont be embarrised

http://www.austers.co.uk

One must be like all changes of state.

Solid - Tough and strong!

Liquid - Relaxed and make your techniques flow!

Gas - Fast!

• 2 months later...
In our Dojo, you are expected to figure it out yourself (impossible) or ask a higher rank. Most people that stick with karate eventually notice the higher rank's belts don't cross in the back, never come untied and have that perfect knot in the front. It's almost a "rite of passage" in a sense. The links looked pretty helpful, good luck!

Hey it's my pleasure fireka. Anyone who has read my posts before knows that I take a pretty level-headed approach to martial arts. In my opinion, it would be good for a belt to be tied correctly, however, it IS just a belt. If it keeps your gi closed then it serves it's purpose. I think that anyone in the class who notices one's belt is tied incorrectly should be courtious enough to help, regardless of rank or age, so long as they do not take an authoritarian or holier-than-thou attitude.

No one at my dojo has their belt embroidered. Not even my instructor, whom has been training for twenty years. It isn't forbidden or anything, it's just that no one really cares to do it and the subject doesn't come up.

Goju: The reason why the belt doesn't overlap in the back is because it overlaps in the front, by the knot. The knot hides the overlapping. You can do the same thing by tying your belt as normal, with the overlap in back, then take your right hand's index finger and place it between the overlapped parts. Drag your finger around the belt while using your thumb on top and other fingers on bottom to push the folds of the belt on top of one another so that it looks like a single fold. Once you get to the front, you will notice the overlapping in the front and will have to mess around with it for the overlap to be hidden.